Using Plasmac to draw with a marker

More
09 Feb 2020 20:31 #156903 by snowgoer540
Good afternoon.

I have a client who wanted to see what a sign would look like before she had me cut it. I figured the easiest way to do this was with a spring loaded marker holder, which i designed and 3D printed. I set out in Fusion and created a file with the engrave command which traced the lines perfectly. I opened the file and removed all of the erroneous M commands, as well as some other stuff I knew Plasmac wouldnt like.

The only problem is that Plasmac has commented out all of the Z moves. I know it does that because M3 triggers a routine to handle all of the touch offs. My question is, is there a way to enable them again, so that I can use the trace command to use a marker and not have a ton of erroneous lines? I can see myself using this new marker tool a lot, as it would be handy not only with showing clients, but also plate layout, marking hole patterns, etc.

I am trying to avoid having an entire LinuxCNC install dedicated to a marker.

Any thoughts?

-Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2020 21:20 #156909 by tommylight
Create a simple config for your machine, well you should already have that so you can start that config when you need the pen. No need to install Linux again, Linuxcnc can have as much configs as you can create .
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
09 Feb 2020 21:40 #156910 by phillc54
If you comment out the following section in the ini file then PlasmaC won't make any changes to the loaded program.

Although if you are going to be making Z moves then I think it would be better to follow Toms suggestion.

# this section required as is for removing z axis moves from the loaded gcode file
# this is optional and if used then plasmac_gcode.py needs to be set as executable
[FILTER]
PROGRAM_EXTENSION       = .ngc remove z axis stuff
ngc                     = ./plasmac_gcode.py
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 Feb 2020 23:48 #156919 by snowgoer540
Ah, I guess that’s what I meant by more linuxcnc installs. It’s not a huge deal, easy enough. New config “marker” it is. Thanks for the replies!

More
26 Feb 2020 13:15 - 26 Feb 2020 13:18 #158532 by andypugh

If you comment out the following section in the ini file then PlasmaC won't make any changes to the loaded program.

Maybe Plasmac could use block delete rather than comment for Z moves?

(I know that LinuxCNC supports block-delete, and there are buttons in the GUIs, but I have not found any docs on it in a manual newer than 2.3)

Found it: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gcode/machini...:block-delete-switch
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 13:18 by andypugh.

More
26 Feb 2020 20:38 #158572 by rodw

Maybe Plasmac could use block delete rather than comment for Z moves?

(I know that LinuxCNC supports block-delete, and there are buttons in the GUIs, but I have not found any docs on it in a manual newer than 2.3)

Found it: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gcode/machini...:block-delete-switch

It would be helpful if the docs outlined how to turn the switch on and off. Its in halui (together with some status pins to tell the states of the switch
halui.program.block−delete.on bit in
                 pin for requesting that block delete is on

More
26 Feb 2020 21:27 #158573 by cmorley
halui is only one way. Most guis have a button for it.
In the docs the word 'switch' was probably a bad choice of words - it's in the programmers sense; an on/off choice.
block delete must be set before the program is run in linuxcnc for some reason.

Chris

More
26 Feb 2020 22:16 #158575 by tommylight
What about
/
Axis has a button for ignoring lines starting with
/
That can be used for many things, one of them was in axis splash screen where it would hide or show a part under the EMC2 logo, i think it was "powered by linux" or.....

More
26 Feb 2020 22:35 #158579 by phillc54
Another option may be to set you marker up like a scribe.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...er-guide.html#scribe

More
26 Feb 2020 23:40 #158584 by cmorley

What about
/
Axis has a button for ignoring lines starting with
/
That can be used for many things, one of them was in axis splash screen where it would hide or show a part under the EMC2 logo, i think it was "powered by linux" or.....

That is block delete
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds