Upgrade problems

More
13 Jul 2020 23:39 #174546 by CFE
Upgrade problems was created by CFE
Hi all,

Yesterday we upgraded our LinuxCNC/PlasmaC installation according to the LinuxCNC/PlasmaC manual and now we have a dead machine. The machine still moves but when it comes to cutting it throws an "valid arc lost" error, on both the software and the Hypertherm.

It seems files are mixed up, but I am at a loss as to what to do now. Make up a new configuration from the start, which is a hell of a lot of work ? Why does an upgrade throw everything in disarray ? This is a major setback, just when we got the machine running and cutting pretty much spot on. What to do ?

Cheers, Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2020 23:44 #174548 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Upgrade problems
Can you compress your config and post it here.

More
13 Jul 2020 23:59 #174551 by CFE
Replied by CFE on topic Upgrade problems
Hi Phil,

I have attached a zip file with the config after the upgrade. In that same configuration folder the "upgrade" added a folder "plasmac" which is locked (and couldn't be added to the zip file).

Cheers, Peter
Attachments:

More
14 Jul 2020 00:09 #174553 by phillc54
I am not sure what you mean by locked. The plasmac directory should be a link to the plasmac source directory.

In plasma.in change line 93 from:
USER_M_PATH = ./

to:
USER_M_PATH = ./:./plasmac

More
14 Jul 2020 00:40 #174557 by CFE
Hi Phil,

I have made the change as per your suggestion. Now the torch turns on when Linux starts, then turns off when Linux is running. But when I start LinuxCNC/PlasmaC then I can't get the torch to fire at all, not with a program nor with the "torch pulse" button. We didn't have the torch turn on during boot up with the old configuration, this came after this "upgrade". What to do now ?

Cheers, Peter

More
14 Jul 2020 00:50 #174559 by phillc54
Well all this upgrade did was move a lot of links to the plasmac source from the config directory to the config/plasmac directory. It did not change the operation of anything.

So you are saying:
when you turn your computer on then the torch turns on
then after the computer has booted the torch turns off
then when you have LinuxCNC running you cannot operate the torch

Is this correct?

More
14 Jul 2020 01:27 #174561 by CFE
Hi Phil,

The turning on of the torch is likely related to the parallel port during boot time, I hadn't noticed it for a while because I tend to start the computer before turning on the plasma unit. No issue there, sorry, my wrong.

I see that we now have 2 plasma_connections.hal files, 1 the original we used and 1 in the added plasmac folder which hasn't been modified yet. Am I correct in saying that PlasmaC now uses the plasma_connections.hal file in the added plasmac folder ? That means I can copy the original working plasma_connections/hal file to that folder and PlasmaC will use that ?

Cheers,

More
14 Jul 2020 01:36 - 14 Jul 2020 01:36 #174563 by phillc54

The turning on of the torch is likely related to the parallel port during boot time, I hadn't noticed it for a while because I tend to start the computer before turning on the plasma unit. No issue there, sorry, my wrong.

Thank God, that had me confused as LinuxCNC/PlasmaC could have no influence at that stage.

I see that we now have 2 plasma_connections.hal files, 1 the original we used and 1 in the added plasmac folder which hasn't been modified yet. Am I correct in saying that PlasmaC now uses the plasma_connections.hal file in the added plasmac folder ? That means I can copy the original working plasma_connections/hal file to that folder and PlasmaC will use that ?

No, it uses the one in the config folder. The one in the config/plasmac folder is just a template.

So the issue is the torch won't turn on from PlasmaC, either as a pulse or from a gcode file?

Does the Torch On LED on the GUI turn on when you do a torch pulse?
If so then open Halshow and watch the parport.0.pin-01-out pin when you do a torch pulse.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2020 01:36 by phillc54.

More
14 Jul 2020 01:48 #174566 by CFE
Hi Phil,

I checked and torch pulse works, halshow also shows parport.0.pin-01-out pin coming on. If I use a G-code file then it's a no go, the torch moves down, trips the float switch, moves to pierce height and the torch turns on for a blip and then off, showing the error "valid arc lost". I have seen this error before, just can't work out why it does this now while it has worked fine for quite a while. It just buggered up after this "upgrade".

Cheers, Peter

More
14 Jul 2020 01:58 #174567 by phillc54
Try setting the Arc OK High in the Config Panel to a much higher value.

Do you know what version you were running previously?

Could you post the gcode file you are trying this with.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds