Some inconveniences with using a touchscreen monitor

More
07 May 2024 21:35 - 07 May 2024 21:48 #300068 by Franklin
Hi, I recently built my new plasma machine with touchscreen control.
And in the process of settings, I discovered some inconveniences:

1. Tooltips are not shown when you use only the touchscreen (see the video 1 ).
2. Would like to have the zoom buttons in the preview on the  Conversational tab like on the Main tab.
3. The probe button does not work as it should, it is deactivated immediately after pressing it. (see the video 2 ).
4. Would like to be able to turn off the PC from the dialog when the holding the POWER button in qtplasmac.
5. It is impossible to delete the machine log without a computer mouse.

I noted these inconveniences during the last month of working on a touch monitor without using a mouse and keyboard.
But overall I like using this program and will continue to test it on my machines. Thanks Phill and all the developers.    
Last edit: 07 May 2024 21:48 by Franklin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2024 02:07 #301276 by tommylight
1. did you try pressing where you want the tooltip to show, then move the finger sideways to avoid it triggering the button?
2. nice idea, although i never needed it till now
3. any error on the log page?
4. personally i have no use for that
5. dont know
-
More important than any of those, did you try firing the torch in mid air, then when touching the material, then cutting?
Touchscreens have a huge antena in front, namely the touch screen, so that does not play well with plasma as they produce huge amounts of interference.
A 23" Dell monitor would blank and often stop reacting to touch inputs, while a Lenovo laptop works perfectly well.
This is with a HF/HV start plasma, so basically the worst case, HV and blow back ones might just be fine.

More
25 May 2024 09:11 #301387 by Franklin
1.I tried different methods, the video 1 shows that the tooltip do not show in qtplasmaс, but in the system utilities the tooltip was showing.
2. I sometimes need this when I'm creating part arrays and want to zoom in to see if the parts are overlapping
3. no, it doesn't cause any errors, it looks like the button turns on and immediately turns off the probing function, maybe need to add a delay between turning on and turning off the button.

I have a plasma with pneumatic Ignition, analog of hypertherm, and I did not notice any interference.

More
25 May 2024 13:28 #301406 by tommylight
3. check safe height and pierce height and float travel.
I have 70, 3, and 7 for those.

More
05 Jun 2024 22:06 - 05 Jun 2024 22:09 #302421 by snowgoer540

Hi, I recently built my new plasma machine with touchscreen control.
And in the process of settings, I discovered some inconveniences:

1. Tooltips are not shown when you use only the touchscreen (see the video 1).
2. Would like to have the zoom buttons in the preview on the  Conversational tab like on the Main tab.
3. The probe button does not work as it should, it is deactivated immediately after pressing it. (see the video 2).
4. Would like to be able to turn off the PC from the dialog when the holding the POWER button in qtplasmac.
5. It is impossible to delete the machine log without a computer mouse.

I noted these inconveniences during the last month of working on a touch monitor without using a mouse and keyboard.
But overall I like using this program and will continue to test it on my machines. Thanks Phill and all the developers.

I tried to duplicate your issues on my VM with a touch screen. I do see that tooltips don't really work that great, but this is due to how PyQt5 handles touchscreen events in conjunction with tooltips and we have no control over this as we don't actually handle the tooltip events/triggering, etc., we just populate what the tooltip should say. Not really a fan of tooltips anyways, I think you can get FAR more information from reading the rather comprehensive manual we put together. Most of the buttons and controls are fairly self-explanatory.

We did push changes to add #2 above, as soon as the build-bots are done build-botting, you can update and enjoy.

As for the rest:

#3 - This is specific to your setup, be it the monitor, or the OS choices you've made. The probe button works as it should here with touch screen. I believe Phill confirmed this on his end too.

#4 - I will see what can be done down the track about adding this option. I'm not sure it would be a big deal but it's not really a priority either.

#5 - I don't understand what you're saying here. You can't delete log files from inside the GUI - this is by design, and not likely to change. If you're talking about deleting the log files outside of QtPlasmaC then I'm not sure how to help you there.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2024 22:09 by snowgoer540.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds