Multiple Independant Z and C Axis Control Possible?

More
15 Mar 2022 20:46 #237375 by Todd Zuercher
Yes, the multi-line boring heads on larger CNC wood routers would be a good analogy to the way I think I'd control the multiple placer heads on a pick and place. (I work with such routers a lot, but I know nothing about pick and place.)

I am very unfamiliar with how most pick and place hardware works though. Does each air actuated placing head have it's own C axis control? Is it a fine angular control or just 0, 90, 180.. indexing?
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2022 20:46 #237376 by my1987toyota

tommylight post=237331 userid=17274most wood machines have 20 or more drills on the same Z axis. :)

that's part of what I was thinking . I just haven't seen any LinuxCnC code showing how to deal with that challenge yet.

More
15 Mar 2022 20:55 #237378 by my1987toyota

Yes, the multi-line boring heads on larger CNC wood routers would be a good analogy to the way I think I'd control the multiple placer heads on a pick and place. (I work with such routers a lot, but I know nothing about pick and place.)

I am very unfamiliar with how most pick and place hardware works though. Does each air actuated placing head have it's own C axis control? Is it a fine angular control or just 0, 90, 180.. indexing?

Any of the Pick and Place's I have seen use full Z control for placing smd parts using stepper or servo. The air actuated stuff is for simple glue or solder placing dispersion and don't need angle control. I should have clarified earlier. sorry.

More
15 Mar 2022 21:03 #237379 by my1987toyota

Yes, the multi-line boring heads on larger CNC wood routers would be a good analogy to the way I think I'd control the multiple placer heads  (I work with such routers a lot, but I know nothing about pick and place.)

I am very unfamiliar with how most pick and place hardware works though.

I see Pick and Places as just another CNC but with some add-on's. My problem is I am still VERY inexperienced on the
software end of things. This forum has been a God send when it comes to that issue though.

More
17 Mar 2022 22:35 #237579 by my1987toyota
Thank you to Todd Zuercher and tommlight your comments thus far did give me an idea. Although I haven't tested
any of this, it should work in theory . Use 1 air actuator  per placing head all placing heads can be connected to a
single C axis via cogged belt and pulley with splined shafts and all mounted to the Z axis. Since you can still
only place a single component at a time anyway you will only have to deal with C and Z offsets for each placing head.
That way the air actuators only needs to be responsible for full extend and full retract. The single Z axis would handle the
final precision heights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Mar 2022 16:16 #238016 by andypugh

Or can I rename them X, Y, Z1, Z2, Z3 C1, C2, and C3 or more?

No, because of limitations of the G-code interpreter. 

"Z1" won't be seen as a command to move axis Z1, instead it will be seen as a command to move axis Z to position 1. 
(And, I think that Z1 23 would move Z to 123) 

It isn't a _complete_ "No". You could write a Pick-and-place-specific interpreter. This could probably be a lot simpler than a full G-code interpreter. 
I wonder what commercial P&P input code looks like? 
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
24 Mar 2022 17:35 #238246 by my1987toyota
Good question. I have never seen the one I have access to show G-code while its operating. I think even Openpnp
just uses coordinates for placing parts.but I am not sure 

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds