LinuxCNC-specific Widgets Do Not Appear In QtDesigner

More
17 Jun 2020 20:30 #171924 by WireWall
Hello,

I am having trouble locating LinuxCNC-specific widgets and the widgets rules editor.
I followed the Installation process on the qtpyvcp website, including the development part.
Everything seems to be in order: QtDesigner works fine, LinuxCNC launches with the gui's made in QtDesigner.
However, there are no LinuxCNC widgets in the 'Widget Box' pane in QtDesigner.

So, how do I access these widgets?

Screenshot of my view of QtDesigner.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2020 21:38 #171929 by tommylight
Did you install the development stuff from the tutorial?

More
18 Jun 2020 14:26 #172013 by WireWall
I followed the instructions from this page: www.qtpyvcp.com/install/installation.htm...all-dev-dependencies

It was not clear to me whether each sub heading was a separate option for a development install (pretty new to linux). I ended up ignoring the 'Installing from Debian package' section, but I followed the rest of the instructions.

Of note: when running the code "sudo apt install qttools5.dev qttools5-dev-tools wheel", part of the response I get is this: "E: Unable to locate package wheel"

More
18 Jun 2020 14:57 #172015 by anfänger
the wheel package is missing, there are two ways one ist you search for the python wheel package of your distribution and install it or use pip:

sudo pip install wheel

More
18 Jun 2020 19:02 #172031 by WireWall
I followed your instructions and installed wheel. I then reinstalled qtpyvcp per the instructions on the website.

I then ran 'editvcp' on a gui I was working on. Still no LinuxCNC-related widgets.

However, I did notice this error message in the terminal:
Starting QtDesigner ...
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
[qtpyvcp-designer.plugins][CRITICAL] Error initializing plugin: qtpyvcp.plugins.status:Status(*[], **OrderedDict([('cycle_time', 75), ('report_actual_pos', False), ('use_program_units', True), ('metric_format', u'%9.3f'), ('imperial_format', u'%8.4f')])) (__init__.py:56)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/username/qtpyvcp/qtpyvcp/widgets/qtdesigner_plugin.py", line 34, in <module>
loadDataPlugins(CONFIG)
File "/home/username/qtpyvcp/qtpyvcp/plugins/__init__.py", line 52, in loadDataPlugins
obj = plugin(*args, **kwargs)
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'imperial_format'
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
qt5ct: D-Bus system tray: no

I know that's a lot of data, but the problem seems related to plugins.
I will look into this.

More
19 Jun 2020 15:29 #172088 by WireWall
New info:

In QtDesigner, I selected Help>>About Plugins. This opened a window that listed the plugins, both working and failed.
Under the Failed Plugins, I found this error report:

Cannot load library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/designer/libpyqt5_py3.so: (libpython3.5m.so.1.0:cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
I followed the specified filepath and found that the file "libpyqt5_py3.so" did exist.
Then, I searched for "libpython3.5m.so.1.0". I didn't find any instance of it, but I did find
"libpython3.6.so" and "libpython3.6m.so" in the filepath: "/usr/lib/python3.6/config-3.6m-x86_64-linux-gnu"

So it looks like QtDesigner is looking for an outdated version of libpython. I will research this further.

More
22 Jun 2020 15:13 #172354 by WireWall
Question:
Does LinuxCNC 2.9 work with QtPyvcp/QtDesigner? I just check my version. I thought I had 2.8 installed, but I have 2.9.

More
22 Jun 2020 15:19 #172358 by tommylight
It did when i last tried it a few months back.

More
24 Nov 2020 00:28 - 25 Nov 2020 02:43 #190170 by JohnnyCNC

Cannot load library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/designer/libpyqt5_py3.so: (libpython3.5m.so.1.0:cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
I followed the specified filepath and found that the file "libpyqt5_py3.so" did exist.
Then, I searched for "libpython3.5m.so.1.0". I didn't find any instance of it, but I did find
"libpython3.6.so" and "libpython3.6m.so" in the filepath: "/usr/lib/python3.6/config-3.6m-x86_64-linux-gnu"

So it looks like QtDesigner is looking for an outdated version of libpython. I will research this further.

Did you find a solution to this? I'm having the exact same problem. I am running Mint 19.3 with 2.8..

Thanks
John

I followed the instruction in this InstallQtVCPQtDesignerPlugins.tar.gz. I am trying to find where I came across it.

Found it: It is the first attachment in this post. Thanks hottabich.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2020 02:43 by JohnnyCNC.

More
25 Nov 2020 23:09 #190298 by JohnnyCNC
Well, I had the LinuxCNC-specific widgets for a day. After an update of LinuxCNC the widgets are gone again.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds