Probe Basic - Very Slow and Laggy

More
21 Aug 2020 20:22 #178953 by Brian
First of all, I am brand new to Linux and LinuxCNC but have successfully installed Mint and LinuxCNC on a Seed Odyssey x86J4105 SBC thanks to the information in these forums and clear tutorials written by members here who are much smarter than I. I am planning on using DMM servos and Mesa 7i76e but have not purchased these yet. All Linux testing has been done on the SBC only.

The Axis GUI seems to work fine but I am really interested in the Probe Basic interface. However, once installed, it is VERY slow. Changing screens has a lot of lag and the conversational tab is particularly slow to load and will not toggle between operations (drill, ream, face, etc). This hangs up the program and it requires a lot of waiting just to click File>Exit.

I will note that I am using a 4k TV via HDMI as a monitor while I wait for a monitor to arrive (all of my current computers and monitors are Apple and are not supported). One thought was the lag is coming from this as I believe Probe Basic supports only 1920x1080 but wouldn't the upscaling be handled by the TV? Is there a way to monitor my SBC performance to see what the problem is while trying to navigate Probe Basic? I changed some BIOS settings trying to reduce latency... is it possible some CPU and power changes impacted this?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2020 21:51 - 21 Aug 2020 22:18 #178960 by Brian
Entering 'top" into the terminal shows that Xorg is using nearly 100% of my CPU.

Edit: Solved! Linux display resolution was set at 4k and after changing to 1920x1080, probe basic works with minimal (still some... normal?) lag switching between screens. Side benefit is servo latency seems reduced to ~40us with 10 glxgears running and a youtube video playing.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2020 22:18 by Brian.

More
22 Aug 2020 01:24 #178972 by KCJ
That's impressive latency for that machine! I always wondered how well they would perform. Might have to get one now, definitely a nice size..

I have not noticed any noticeable lag when running ProbeBasic, but then I have only run it on relatively powerful dev machines. I don't have a big enough screen on my mill!

ProbeBasic is relatively (as far as QtPyVCP GUIs go) graphics and memory intensive, so it's not too surprising that you might notice some lag on a machine like the x86J4105. There are a lot of things that could be optimized (images, QSS etc.) in ProbeBasic that might help significantly, but this not currently a priority.

Cheers,
Kurt

More
22 Aug 2020 05:09 #178977 by Mike_Eitel
Yes it is a nice device.
I'm still waiting for their promised solution to run a pci-e parport card in epp mode.
Mike

More
27 Aug 2020 18:10 #179713 by TurBoss
I'm working an a Cython build that should run fast as binaries do

what I'm not sure if it will solve the problems related to Widgets begin slow

it starts but crashes intermediately because of relative paths begin used
and no data_files configured correctly on the setup.py

the branch "Cython" can be found here:

github.com/kcjengr/qtpyvcp/tree/Cython

any ideas/help is welcome

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCJ

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.715 seconds