Probe basic lathe vs pncconf setup?

More
03 Feb 2021 22:18 #197600 by Muzzer
I have my embryonic Colchester Bantam lathe system running semi virtually on the bench (servos turning off the machine etc) using Axis, configured with the pncconf wizard. I have 5i25/7i76, with a 7i85 to be added later.

Just now I followed the instructions for installing Probe Basic Lathe and it went like a dream. kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start.html Fantastic, easy to install, no puzzlement. Took me a while to work out what was meant by "after installation probe basic should show up in the linuxcnc launch screen". I finally figured out that the Probe Basic option is only visible if you run the original LinuxCNC installation - I was trying to find and open the existing config from the wizard and of course it doesn't show up there - plenty of VCPs but no PB. So now I have the PB GUI running but it's not configured or connected up to anything yet of course.

The recommended method seems to be to get Axis up and running (which I have), then to install PB (which I have). But how to configure the system with PB so it actually works? The pncconf tool doesn't seem to be able to pick up the PB version for editing and the initial PB config I just created from LinuxCNC is back to vanilla settings. Do I have to manually knife and fork the 2 versions together or manually create the hal and ini files or is there a way to use pncconf?

Things went so smoothly until they stopped and I came to a dead end. Could somebody please tell me how to configure it, ideally using the original configs or the pncconf wizard?

PB is intended for full screen at 1920x1080 resolution. Is it possible / easy to window it or switch tasks so I can do other operations without closing it? As you can tell I am not very experienced with Linux yet.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2021 02:12 #199919 by tommylight
Moved to QtPyVCP section of the forum, sorry for the delay,
To switch active windows, press and hold ALT while pressing on TAB to cycle through.
Probe Basic is made for full HD screens, so resizing it unfortunately means using the QT designer and installing the development version.
As for the config, this is not verified, it should go something like this:
-create a normal config and set up everything to work properly
-make a copy of that config for just in case something goes wrong
-open the ini file of that config and the ini file of the probe basic config
-compare the two and copy/paste the relevant lines, save and try to open it
-do not close the text editor while editing the files as you can always go back if something is not right using the "undo" function from the menu or CTRL+Z on the keyboard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muzzer, Lcvette

More
24 Feb 2021 05:18 #199926 by Lcvette

I have my embryonic Colchester Bantam lathe system running semi virtually on the bench (servos turning off the machine etc) using Axis, configured with the pncconf wizard. I have 5i25/7i76, with a 7i85 to be added later.

Just now I followed the instructions for installing Probe Basic Lathe and it went like a dream. kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start.html Fantastic, easy to install, no puzzlement. Took me a while to work out what was meant by "after installation probe basic should show up in the linuxcnc launch screen". I finally figured out that the Probe Basic option is only visible if you run the original LinuxCNC installation - I was trying to find and open the existing config from the wizard and of course it doesn't show up there - plenty of VCPs but no PB. So now I have the PB GUI running but it's not configured or connected up to anything yet of course.

The recommended method seems to be to get Axis up and running (which I have), then to install PB (which I have). But how to configure the system with PB so it actually works? The pncconf tool doesn't seem to be able to pick up the PB version for editing and the initial PB config I just created from LinuxCNC is back to vanilla settings. Do I have to manually knife and fork the 2 versions together or manually create the hal and ini files or is there a way to use pncconf?

Things went so smoothly until they stopped and I came to a dead end. Could somebody please tell me how to configure it, ideally using the original configs or the pncconf wizard?

PB is intended for full screen at 1920x1080 resolution. Is it possible / easy to window it or switch tasks so I can do other operations without closing it? As you can tell I am not very experienced with Linux yet.

Thanks!

tommylight did a great job explaining that! thanks tommylight!

as for PB lathe, there is a release we are trying to get put out because the lathe version is really outdated and buggy, the version has a myriad of fixes, just an fyi. but we are battling the change from travis which stopped working altogether and transitioning to buildbot for making new version releases. the new probe basic version configs also have some changes so know going forward that you will need to make some changes once that release is done, the changes are to resolve some of these issues with converting pncconfig files more easily, ie less probe basic specific ini requirements and moving them to probe basic specific config files for settings and personalization. hope this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Muzzer

More
24 Feb 2021 09:44 - 24 Feb 2021 09:46 #199950 by Muzzer
Yes, thanks for the confirmation. That's what I did in the end. It's largely working, albeit with the scaling issues on the backplot screen - not an issue for me at the moment.

I have Visual Studio Code (Linux version) that allows you to compare files in adjacent panels. If I go into PNCConf to make changes to a dummy file, I can easily highlight the incremental changes that happen in the INI and HAL files and implement those in the PB setup. Seems to work for now although it was a little painful initially.

I will look out for the update when it comes. It's looking good so far! Many thanks for the work you have put in.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2021 09:46 by Muzzer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
24 Feb 2021 13:38 #199979 by Lcvette

Yes, thanks for the confirmation. That's what I did in the end. It's largely working, albeit with the scaling issues on the backplot screen - not an issue for me at the moment.

I have Visual Studio Code (Linux version) that allows you to compare files in adjacent panels. If I go into PNCConf to make changes to a dummy file, I can easily highlight the incremental changes that happen in the INI and HAL files and implement those in the PB setup. Seems to work for now although it was a little painful initially.

I will look out for the update when it comes. It's looking good so far! Many thanks for the work you have put in.

yes it is, i wonder how difficult it would be to make an add on interface that could spit out config files.. maybe in the future or even have the setup and configuration wozard inside probe basic... but for now still nailing down functionality

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds