[UPDATE] File editor crashing (Probe Basic Vertical)

More
01 Jan 2022 22:19 - 01 Jan 2022 22:22 #230491 by spumco
[MX21; 5.10.0-10-rt-amd64; Lcnc 2.9 RIP; qtpyvcp master, Probe Basic Vertical (from test branch)]

Multiple problems with the file window/editor:
  1. When I try to load an .ngc file in the "FILE" tab the file is displayed in the file editor window.  However, when I press the "MAIN" tab LCNC instantly closes.
  2. Sometimes when I press "load gcode" LCNC crashes immediately
  3. The file editor doesn't work.  If I load a file and select "EDIT G_CODE" I can place the cursor in the editor window, but I can't edit the file.  It is not responsive to key presses except arrowing L/R or up/down.
  4. I've successfully loaded one of the qtpyvcp examples and tabbed over to the main screen, but it crashes when I scroll down in the code window.

No error message from LCNC, just crashy.

Anyone have an idea why the file window seems to be throwing up?

Thanks,
    Ralph
Last edit: 01 Jan 2022 22:22 by spumco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TurBoss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2022 19:19 #230566 by spumco
Update:

This appears to be limited to the Vertical screenset.  I believe there are some missing settings/functions from the file editor widget (?) that are present in other qtpyvcp GUI's.  PB horizontal and other qtpyvcp GUI's don't cause the crashing when opening editing files.

I'm not remotely competent qith QT designer, but the screenshots show that PB Horizontal has a significant number of additional settings or characteristics than PB Vertical when the file editor item is selected.

Assuming this is a missing info problem (i.e. screen still under development), anyone want to have a go at helping me add the missing features or functions?

Or if the PB Devs are going to add the info, walking me through (again) getting/installing the latest version once its fixed...

-R
Attachments:

More
16 Jan 2022 04:04 #231986 by cmw
Did you ever get the gcode editor working? I've got the same setup but I'm using PB horizontal. The edit gcode, find/replace, save and save as buttons don't seem to do anything. I don't know much about the QT editor but it seems like there aren't any actions associated with those buttons.

Thanks

Chris

More
16 Jan 2022 15:56 #232024 by spumco

Did you ever get the gcode editor working? I've got the same setup but I'm using PB horizontal. The edit gcode, find/replace, save and save as buttons don't seem to do anything. I don't know much about the QT editor but it seems like there aren't any actions associated with those buttons.

Thanks

Chris

I did some ham-fisted fiddling to see if my suspicions were correct.
  • I opened QT designer, and then opened PB Horizontal and PB Vert .ui's at the same time.
  • Copied the file editor box (not container) from Horiz and pasted it in Vert over top of the existing window (or widget).  Note that the existing widget in Vert does nothing - it's a text display or something.
  • Did the same thing for the Main window/widget on the main tab.

It started working, sort-of.  No more LCNC crashing, and I can  'run' a program... but the program skips lines and generally acts weird.  It doesn't stop at M01 when optional stop is enabled (either on-screen or using a hardware button to halui).

There are other missing things - the spindle rpm display isn't the actual rpm, it's just reporting the commanded speed.  This may be on purpose, or it may be missing a link to some value from LCNC.  As far as the file buttons go, they don't work in Vertical either.

You might try doing the same thing I did.  I don't know what branch you're on, but if you can find an earlier/different branch where those buttons are working you can open that one plus your current one in QT designer and inspect the button attributes.  You may be able to edit your existing ones in a way that gets them working.

I'm not smart enough to help you get two different branches installed at the same time for comparison purposes - maybe someone else can help with that.  It may be as simple as downloading just the probe_basic.ui file from a different branch in to a temp folder and then opening it in QT designer.  I don't know the qtpyvcp architecture, but it cant hurt to try.

My next move is to try loading one of the other branches to see if any of the other ones are working better.

-Ralph
The following user(s) said Thank You: cmw

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds