{Solved} Probe Basic - probing routine errors

More
05 Apr 2022 19:36 #239370 by spumco
[Lcnc 2.9, Probe Basic python3 branch]

Just got my spindle probe hooked up and seems to be connected properly, but I'm having issues with the probing routines in Probe Basic.

So far I've only tried a few routines, but the internal round pocket and the probe tip calibration routines both error out before finishing.  Specifically, the two routines are
- probe_cal_round_pocket.ngc
- probe_round_pocket.ngc

The issue is that after the X- and X+ touches, the probe moves to the middle and probes Y+.  After probing Y+ the second (slow) time, it stops after the second retract and throws two errors instead of moving Y-:  "move would result in exceeding joint 1's limits" and "move would result in exceeding Y axis limits".

E-stop isn't triggered, but the probing routine stops and the WCS isn't updated.  I've tried adjusting the 'hint' diameter up and down, as well as set-back, max X-Y distance, and other values on the probing screen.

Same thing happens during the probe tip calibration.  I'm probing in the middle of my axis travel range - nowhere near the hard limits or soft-limits.

Probe routine for an outside corner worked fine.  I'll try an internal square/rectangle this evening, but does anyone have an idea what the issue is?

I've attached the two .ngc files just in case this particular version/branch of PB has something wonky in it.

Thanks,
Ralph
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2022 19:54 #239373 by Lcvette
I've used them all in both master branch and 2.8, they all work fine when properly set for myself, what are your parameters? Can you post a screenshot? What is the tool diameter and is it set in the tool table? This must be done prior to running calibration. Then calibration will be added to the routine when run. If all that is as it should be you can try running with slow probe set at 0.0000 and run your fast probe feed at 8i-10ipm. Sometimes if it's set too slow the probe itself will double trigger causing some issues.
this is not an issue in the routine but a mechanical issue. Also what are your probe parameter settings? Can you post a screen shot of them?

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
05 Apr 2022 22:21 #239396 by spumco
More testing just now: all new attempts to probe in Y- fail.  Boss, pocket, valley - even a simple Y- edge touch fails.

Screenshots attached with tool and probe tabs.  Last screenshot is with the error messages displayed.  The line number referenced in the error changes depending on the routine, but it's essentially the same.

More testing just now: all new attempts to probe in Y- fail.  Boss, pocket, valley - even a simple Y- edge touch fails.

Calibration - I can't complete the calibration routine yet.  Always fails at the start of the Y- move.

The probe is triggered properly in all directions.  The only thing I've had to adjust is my rapids - the probe triggers when I've got them turned all the way up. That give a different error (touch when not expected) that's easily explainable.

I've tried running fast probe at 5&10ipm, and slow at 1 & 5ipm.  Same result.
Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2022 22:49 #239398 by spumco
Chris - thanks for giving my brain a poke.

I think I got this sorted out.  My max XY distance was greater than the available travels in the Y- direction.  Had my bearing race too close to the front of the table - probing would have been fine, but the PB routine obviously calculated the max travels if it missed the 'hint' or calibration distance and compared it to the G53 remaining travels and threw a wobbler.

And it seems to be fine with full rapids now, but I did have to up the X/Y clearance a bit and reduce the Extra Depth a little.

So far, so good.

Thx,
Ralph
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
05 Apr 2022 23:16 #239401 by Lcvette
max x y i usually set around.5" i only use extra probe depth if i am trying to get down below a chamfer, otherwise the standard is for the probe to move in z - the diameter size of the probe in the tool table which is typically fine. glad you got it sorts, get the calibration done now!

More
05 Apr 2022 23:40 #239402 by spumco
Based on your response, I'm guessing the Max X/Y is not the total probing distance per axis , but is added to the "hint" value?  If so, that would explain the overtravel alarms I was getting, as well as your scheme of only adding 0.5".

Calibration done now.

Had to reduce the tip size 0.0004" and add 0.0002" of Y-compensation, but it's repeating to 0.0001" in both directions as many times as I want to watch it.  Very satisfactory.

New probe is a Vers.By WLR, by the way.  Love my Hallmark ITTP, but I'm building an ATC and needed something wireless.

BTW... any ideas on how to stop all the info windows popping up at every probe touch?  Erros are required, but closing 8 windows after every routine is getting old.  Is this my DEBUGGING=1 in the INI file? Or something else?

-R

More
05 Apr 2022 23:53 #239404 by Lcvette
Check the probe help tab if you need some imagery of what each parameter is, it has the definitions for the probe parameters. max xy distance is the max amount it will travel during the actual probe move before erroring out if no contact is made. The step off width is how far it will step off the edge from the starting position after probing in z minus direction. The hints are the rough stock size, step of width is added to hint to give clearance. I typically set max xyz to 0.5" and step off to 0.375"

More
05 Apr 2022 23:55 #239405 by Lcvette
Not sure on the messages, i only get error messages so must be an ini setting
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
07 Apr 2022 02:14 #239497 by spumco
Yep, INI had DEBUGGING=1

Setting it to "0" stopped everything but errors.

Thanks again!

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds