QTpyvcp - edit existing ui?

More
25 Jun 2022 15:13 #245860 by spumco
[MX21, LCNC 2.9, qtpyvcp master, probe basic python3]

I'd like to make some changes to the Probe Basic screen but I'm not sure where to start. The qtpyvcp tutorial has been helpful to understand the components/widgets but I can't really find what I'm looking for.

Specifically, I'd like to accomplish two things:
  • Make a copy of Probe Basic so I can work on the copy and not break the original installation.
    • Not clear on this as there are multiple probe_basic.ui and supporting files located in my file system.  Could use some very basic "copy this and this and put them here" instructions
    • Also need some instructions on how to call up the modified version(s) when I start LCNC.
  • Resize and move some of the ui screen elements around.
    • I can't figure out how to 'unlock' the main screen to adjust the aspect ratio, nor can I seem to move the sub-windows (containers?) around.  Moving/resizing the individual buttons/widgets works OK so far.
    • I eventually want to wind up with a vertical/portrait version of PB.  I understand the devs are busy working on the 'normal' version and the vertical version included in the package hasn't been touched in quite some time.
  • Bonus - is there a way to zoom out in QT designer? Specifically, it's difficult to create/edit a 1920x1080 ui on a 1920x1080 monitor
    • scrolling around is painful when the side toolbars are open and opening/closing those is fussy
Thx
-Ralph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2022 11:51 #245909 by tommylight
Bump.

More
26 Jun 2022 15:09 #245927 by TurBoss
Replied by TurBoss on topic QTpyvcp - edit existing ui?
Hello,

> Make a copy of Probe Basic so I can work on the copy and not break the original installation.

you can keep a separate version by using git branches

or a copy of the directory but may require edit setup.py name and entry_points section

> Resize and move some of the ui screen elements around.

the size is set in properties (Ctrl + i)

> Bonus - is there a way to zoom out in QT designer? Specifically, it's difficult to create/edit a 1920x1080 ui on a 1920x1080 monitor

not posible :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco

More
26 Jun 2022 19:26 #245950 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic QTpyvcp - edit existing ui?
> the size is set in properties (Ctrl + i)

I can change the main Form height under geometry, minimumSize, and maximumSize, but I can't change width more than a little bit. 

Seems like there are sub-components (containers, widgets) that are driving the overall minimum width.  Any suggestions on how to globally change the various size policies so I can resize everything and then rearrange the layout?

More
21 Jul 2022 14:50 #247949 by Lcvette
Replied by Lcvette on topic QTpyvcp - edit existing ui?
i did some work on the vertical branch a little bit ago, you could start with it and be alot farther ahead probably. yes the interior widget sizes will act as stoppers for larger resizing, those are sometimes set to "fixed" so the formatting cannot be damaged when moving other things around. you can go into those and change that setting as desired or change the size to see how it moves other things around. welcome to the world of ui design! its a tedious endeavor when the ui gets larger and more complex and changes often lead to more frustrating slinky effect trickle down issues that require fixes.

your best bet would be to install gitkraken and join the dev team :side: this will allow you to make changes, revert changes, branch off from different builds to do testing then once happy merge back into your main branch. works great and is easy to have others look at your branches if you get stuck on something!

More
21 Jul 2022 22:23 #247991 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic QTpyvcp - edit existing ui?
your best bet would be to install gitkraken and join the dev team

Ugh.  I feel like I'm becoming the dev-monkey recently

Thanks for the tip on vertical branch.  Didn't see anything since August last year.  And yes, my goal - eventually - is to have a vertical UI.

I think I'll leave fiddling with the layout until I get everything working first.  UI fixes/tweaks are my side-jobs while I'm waiting for forum responses to more fundamental problems...

More
23 Jul 2022 15:32 #248126 by Lcvette
Replied by Lcvette on topic QTpyvcp - edit existing ui?
yeah, dev work is often a thankless job, at the time i was working on this i had more time then i do now, its not difficult to sit down to sort a small issue out only to find you have gone hours working on it all the while being highly frustrated. it is very helpful having more people working on the project as often times fresh eyes find things we may have stared at for the last 4 years and not seen because it never barked in our scenarios. with limited time to invest in the dev work these days, the squeaky wheel is often at the front of the line for fixing. the vertical UI is desired by many, and already many days have been invested in bringing that forth, but it is tough when major changes occur that require additional work just to get back to working on something. the biggest has been the py3 transition in linuxcnc and how that effects what OS supports what, how to install, how to make PB installable etc.. it is a lot and on top of that all branches must be updated. currently the lathe branch is still needing updating for py3 still which is higher priority than the vertical screen set, i view somethings as "would be nice to have" and other things as "need to have" this will not always align with others individual wants and need list,

at any rate the more help and more people working on it really relieves some of the load and also helps to reinvigorate the passion for the project. so the more the merrier and appreciated!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds