QtDesigner not showing the LinuxCNC Widgets

More
05 Mar 2023 18:38 #265934 by BaxEDM
Newby here, I'm probably overlooking something simple, but can't figure it out.

I have installed QtDesigner by exactly following the instructions described here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/qtvcp.html#_qtvcp_widgets

I can start QtDesigner and when I check the QtDesigner help > About plugins, I see that the libpyqt5.so and libpyqt5_py2.so have been loaded. However, I see no selectable LinuxCNC widgets. Now I'm lost.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2023 23:51 #265943 by Lcvette
Conflicts on Debian 12 with pyqt5, we are preparing to switch to pyside 6, but slated for after redoding the deb package build shortcoming. 

More
06 Mar 2023 18:46 #265966 by spumco
I've found QtDesigner will start from the desktop menu but the LCNC & qtpyvcp plugins don't show up.

If I start QtDesigner from terminal, using "editvcp xxxx", it starts and all plugins are available. (note - "xxxx" is the name of the .ui file to be edited)

I don't understand why, and the above may not be your problem... but it's worth a shot to see if starting from terminal helps.

More
06 Mar 2023 18:57 #265971 by spumco
ALSO...

Qtvcp and QtPyVCP are not the same thing.  If you installed qtvcp from the link you posted, you will have (once it's working) the "LCNC" plugin.

If you are trying to edit/create QtPyVCP screens, you need to install using the instructions from the QtPyVCP web page (or other sources, including the .deb @ Lcvette mentioned).  That installation process will provide the QtPyVCP-specific widgets & functions.

This is a murky subject for the new-to-LCNC.  Both qtvcp and qtpyvcp rely on QtDesigner as the underlying editing software, but they require /install different plugins to be compatible with screens which were created using one or the other.

Qtvcp is part of the official LCNC framework - the official LCNC documents include references to, and instructions for using, qtvcp.

QtPyVCP is not part of the official LCNC framework.  Documentation is limited to that which is on the QtPyVCP web site + forum help.

Examples:
  • You want to edit QTDragon - that's qtvcp, so install via the forum script
  • You want to edit Probe Basic - that's qtpyvcp, so install via the qtpyvcp web page

More
06 Mar 2023 19:54 #265972 by Lcvette
in debian 12 the only installation method is the deb install. pip is no longer supports for system wide install on python 3.11 which is what the other methods rely on.

More
06 Mar 2023 19:55 #265973 by Lcvette

I've found QtDesigner will start from the desktop menu but the LCNC & qtpyvcp plugins don't show up.

If I start QtDesigner from terminal, using "editvcp xxxx", it starts and all plugins are available. (note - "xxxx" is the name of the .ui file to be edited)

I don't understand why, and the above may not be your problem... but it's worth a shot to see if starting from terminal helps.

will test this, thanks!

More
06 Mar 2023 21:02 #265977 by Grotius
Hi,

Here is some background info how to implement custom hal widgets into qt.
Maybe it helps.

More
06 Mar 2023 21:19 #265980 by Lcvette

Hi,

Here is some background info how to implement custom hal widgets into qt.
Maybe it helps.

Thanks Grotius,

this is an issue with debian 12 and python 3.11, has some issues to overcome many big changes that create some major headaches.  main being the deprecation of system pip install.  so everything using pip install now fails. :(

More
06 Mar 2023 23:39 #265989 by Grotius
Hmm, that sucks then.

If you want to overcome problems, i could create a .deb package for you containing qt and the lcnc widgets.
Then you can use the " sudo dpkg -i thepackage.deb " way.

More
07 Mar 2023 00:47 #266002 by Lcvette
Grotious, turboss and I are working on trying to incorporate pyqt6, which once done should resolve the python3.11 dependency issue and make things better overall and faster over pyqt5. (we originally wanted to use pyside6 but not available on debian). if you would like to come see what we are hacking away at we would more than welcome your help in getting things back up and running and hopefully a little more future proofed. I am new to all of this so even minor things take me much longer to figure out than more experienced people and the assistance would be greatly appreciated!

:side:

we are in the qtpyvcp chat on matrix:

matrix.to/#/#qtpyvcp:matrix.org

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds