I am an idiot...3D Probe with Probe Basic

More
13 Aug 2023 21:14 #277874 by msrdiesel
Mine is already quite puny at 0.078". If I knew where to change the code to let it accept a negative number, I would make the change myself. Is the input text box set to only allow for positive numbers, because it removes the leading negative. If that were the case it may be an easy fix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2023 21:41 #277879 by Lcvette
Sorry was trying to edit this post and hit delete on accident.   

Depending how you installed probe basic you may or may not have access to the probe_basic.yml file.  If you do,  you can do the following:

Change the min value shown in the file below to:
min_value: -100

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: msrdiesel

More
14 Aug 2023 02:52 - 14 Aug 2023 02:54 #277905 by Lcvette
I was able to test the change recommended above and confirmed it does now accept negative entries in the extra probe depth user entry.  the change has been pushed to the latest version, for 2.8.4 you will need to manually update it in a dev installation.

Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Aug 2023 02:54 by Lcvette.
The following user(s) said Thank You: msrdiesel

More
14 Aug 2023 03:06 - 14 Aug 2023 03:07 #277907 by msrdiesel
I will try to make a video this week and post the link, I will go through all I know about probing which isn't much. Maybe it will be a help to someone.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2023 03:07 by msrdiesel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Aug 2023 14:22 #277959 by spumco

Issue 1, I most of the time I forget to remove the tool from the spindle, not the actual probe itself, but I forget to press: UNLOAD SPINDLE and take it back to "0". This caused quite a commotion the first time I did it. 

You're not the only one to get bitten by this.

I've got an idea about physically removing a tool and forgetting to 'notify' PB by emptying the spindle.  Or worse, sticking a tool in the spindle and forgetting to tell PB it's there.

I've got a momentary button on my spindle head I use to manually release a tool.  I'm thinking of creating an on-screen message and linking it in HAL (or PB) so that whenever the drawbar is activated manually I get a pop-up reminder to update the PB ATC page.

If you don't have an ATC this message would get really old, really fast.  But for the once or twice a session it might help avoid a dummy mistake.

More
14 Aug 2023 15:14 - 14 Aug 2023 15:46 #277966 by msrdiesel

I've got an idea about physically removing a tool and forgetting to 'notify' PB by emptying the spindle.  Or worse, sticking a tool in the spindle and forgetting to tell PB it's there.

I've got a momentary button on my spindle head I use to manually release a tool.  I'm thinking of creating an on-screen message and linking it in HAL (or PB) so that whenever the drawbar is activated manually I get a pop-up reminder to update the PB ATC page.

If you don't have an ATC this message would get really old, really fast.  But for the once or twice a session it might help avoid a dummy mistake.

I haven't put much thought into doing that just yet, but I did take a few moments to go over some logic in my head this morning. At a minimum, since my machine has buttons to both open and close the drawbar, or clamp and un-clamp the tool I think I have an idea. If I have a tool greater than #16 in the spindle (my ATC holds 16 tools), then just set the tool in the spindle to "0", if it is unclamped.

It would sure be easier and would cause no issues for the tool NOT to be in the spindle.

The sad part is this will take awhile to figure out how to implement, where as if this was a Visual Studio program in C, I could have it done in minutes. Guess I will try unclamp tool in the subroutines, and see what I can do there.

Last edit: 14 Aug 2023 15:46 by msrdiesel.

More
14 Aug 2023 16:23 - 14 Aug 2023 16:32 #277976 by msrdiesel

Never mind, delete post please.

Last edit: 14 Aug 2023 16:32 by msrdiesel.

More
14 Aug 2023 19:17 #277994 by Lcvette
Ive not run into this, but then my process is to unload the tool in PB and then go in physically and remove the tool. In this method i dont forget.

When loading, i load in pb and then put the tool in the spindle.

If you train yourself this way it will never be an issue.

More
14 Aug 2023 19:26 #277997 by msrdiesel
But you thankfully don't have my brain. I keep NOT remeberi...

More
15 Aug 2023 03:34 - 15 Aug 2023 03:36 #278028 by msrdiesel

I set mine up to just clear out the loaded tool when it is #99, when I open the drawbar and unclamp it. Only time I will be doing that operation of removing it from the spindle is to remove it after probing anyway. I just added an if statement in M24 which unclamps the tool. I have separate buttons to clamp/unclamp or open/close the drawbar.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2023 03:36 by msrdiesel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds