Another Idiot attempts to use Probe Basic and begs for help

More
17 Oct 2024 11:30 #312361 by ThyerHazard
Hey guys....ok so been up for hours pulling my hair out trying to get this working without wanting to annoy you gods, But I'm at a loss.as a background I followed the tutorials and had Probe_basic working fine in the SIm no issues, and was using QTdragon on my machine for weeks making parts also no issues, but after following the machine config tutorials (I've noticed that there are two or more official guides for how to do this and they both have slight differences different files etc so Im a bit confused of exactly what to do as this;kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/machine_config.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2024 11:37 #312363 by ThyerHazard
Sorry I don't know what happened to the first post but the format got snipped and most of the post deleted? 

TLDR

Followed both guides 
kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/machine_config.html
forum.linuxcnc.org/qtpyvcp/48401-py3-pro...version-doc-lcnc-2-9

Both seem slightly different especially in the .ini part so not sure exactly which one is the one we are supposed to use? Either way tried both ways many times, fresh installs, new configs etc, but got nothing but errors. using the forums and the docs tried to figure out issues myself eventually added some of the files the guide tells you to remove back  in I think (Linuxcnc.var) and then boom it seemed to work, would launch straight away into probe basic no errors, seems to work can click through all the menus and screens etc. but I can't take the machine out of E-STOP or power on the machine. when I click the E -stop button the program freezes four about 10 seconds then works again  but the machine stays locked.

please if anyone has the time to take a quick look at the files I linked and hopefully point out what dumb shit I'm doing wrong.
its just a basic config for a metric 3 axis mill nothing fancy.

Thanks guys <3

More
17 Oct 2024 14:50 #312396 by Lcvette
follow the wguide on the probe basic website, it is easier to keep updated and edit (as you have discovered trying to edit your post above..lol)

post the errors you are receiving, they help direct us to where the issue is. im not familiar with the config builder you used or how it formatted the hal file so its a bit difficult to do a quick compare. i alsways use pncconfig myself because of old habbit. but so long as everything is there as it should be i don't think that matters. post the error log in full, that will have the offending bits and pieces for the current issue. it may take a few times if there are more than one but eventually once they all get sorted it will load same as the sim does.

More
18 Oct 2024 05:57 #312470 by ThyerHazard
Hey mate, thanks for the reply by the guide on the website I'm assuming you mean the github? or is there a dedicated site I'm missing? haha I followed the link on this (kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start.html) clicked on the (Build your own config) link and it took me back to your post on these forums from 2023 so again not super sure what I am and am not supposed to be following could you please chuck me a link so I'm %100 sure? Thanks :D

And I provided no error with my post because I didn't get any, after mucking about with my config folder it lets me into probe_basic without any error pop ups but it just doesn't work.

When I get confirmation on exactly what guide to follow I'll delete everything and start from scratch exactly how the guide says and I'll report back any errors I get. Thanks again for the help!

Also the config build I used it just Stepconfig that comes built in with linuxcnc

More
18 Oct 2024 07:57 - 18 Oct 2024 08:18 #312475 by ThyerHazard
Ok, So followed the guide from square one, installed Probe_basic and QTPyVCP from scratch and have the sims working fine, Created a new config using Step Config in Axis and had that working fine...

Followed the guide on Github word for word (At least I think so) and am now getting errors, I haven't changed or added / subtracted anything. this is as it from following the guide. Included in my .ini .hal and the error report and a screen shot of my config folder to see what Files I have in there  :)

Thanks

Error report created by /usr/lib/tcltk/linuxcnc/show_errors.tcl:

Print file information:
RUN_IN_PLACE=no
LINUXCNC_DIR=
LINUXCNC_BIN_DIR=/usr/bin
LINUXCNC_TCL_DIR=/usr/lib/tcltk/linuxcnc
LINUXCNC_SCRIPT_DIR=
LINUXCNC_RTLIB_DIR=/usr/lib/linuxcnc/modules
LINUXCNC_CONFIG_DIR=
LINUXCNC_LANG_DIR=/usr/lib/tcltk/linuxcnc/msgs
INIVAR=inivar
HALCMD=halcmd
LINUXCNC_EMCSH=/usr/bin/wish8.6
LINUXCNC - 2.9.2
Machine configuration directory is '/home/cnc/linuxcnc/configs/CNCMACHINE'
Machine configuration file is 'CNCMACHINE.ini'
INIFILE=/home/cnc/linuxcnc/configs/CNCMACHINE/CNCMACHINE.ini
VERSION=1.1
PARAMETER_FILE=probe_basic.var
TPMOD=
HOMEMOD=
TASK=milltask
HALUI=
DISPLAY=probe_basic
COORDINATES=X Y Z
KINEMATICS=trivkins coordinates=XYZ
Starting LinuxCNC...
Starting LinuxCNC server program: linuxcncsvr
Loading Real Time OS, RTAPI, and HAL_LIB modules
Starting LinuxCNC IO program: io
linuxcnc TPMOD=tpmod HOMEMOD=homemod EMCMOT=motmod
twopass:invoked with <> options
twopass:found ./CNCMACHINE.hal
twopass:CANNOT FIND FILE FOR:custom.hal
twopass:CANNOT FIND FILE FOR:custom.hal
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
Removing HAL_LIB, RTAPI, and Real Time OS modules
Removing NML shared memory segments

Debug file information:
Note: Using POSIX realtime
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components
Note: Using POSIX realtime

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2024 08:18 by ThyerHazard.

More
18 Oct 2024 08:17 - 18 Oct 2024 08:18 #312477 by ThyerHazard
Reading through the error I saw (twopass:CANNOT FIND FILE FOR:custom.hal) line and saw that custom.hal is not in the example so I commented that out in my .ini and get this error log now
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2024 08:18 by ThyerHazard.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds