hal setup for probe

More
12 Sep 2020 18:17 #181906 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic hal setup for probe
To be clear the other probing routines work?
Does the machine start to move ?

It's timing out (probably after 60 s?) I don't understand the other error unknown oword number.

I've never used calibration = but testing the sim gives a different error
'G38.2 move finished without making contact.' which is expected with no probe...

I wont be able to look at this again for a while off to travel to work.
Hopefully Jim (qtdragob author) will see it and comment.

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2020 19:14 #181917 by lllars
Replied by lllars on topic hal setup for probe
Yes the machine moves and seems to complete the calibration routine. It gets the surface height, then jogs x and z-down into the hole. Probes both ways in x and y directions, probes both ways again, and then z-up when done.

The other routine I've tried is probing for outside edges and corners. That one seems to work 100% correctly, in that it zeros out the g54 positions when done. Still all zeros in the 3 rows though. I also assume the position is a bit off since the probe is not calibrated. It doesn't even know the diameter of the probe tip.

Thanks for your help thus far Chris. I hope you enjoy your trip.

More
12 Sep 2020 20:44 #181925 by lllars
Replied by lllars on topic hal setup for probe
I've made some progress.

First of all I went through the console output and tracked down and resolved a lot of the errors and warnings. It doesn't seem like any of them were related to the problem at hand, but at least the console output is a little cleaner now.

After that cleanup I tried probe calibration again and got the same result as I was getting before. So then, since Chris had mentioned it was timing out, I bumped up the feed speeds a tried again, and that time it succeeded! Console output attached.

Unfortunately the results don't look right. My probe has a 0.125" ball and I'm probing a 0.562" ID hole. I've attached a photo of the results below. It looks like it calculated my probe diameter to be 0.446". Please take a look and make sure I am doing this correctly. Am I entering the 0.562" diameter in the right field? And am I interpreting the results correctly?

Another issue is that the results don't appear to be getting saved anywhere. They are gone when I restart linuxcnc. Are they supposed to be getting saved? If not, there must at least be some config variable where I can put the probe diameter...
Attachments:

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds