Safer Probing Macros

More
29 Oct 2020 20:09 #187716 by lllars
Safer Probing Macros was created by lllars
This is a set of modified macros to use with basic_probe that aims to reduce the chances of crashing your probe.

The stock probe routines generally have some G0 and G1 setup moves before, between, and after the actual G38 probe moves. Currently, if your probe makes contact during the G0 or G1 moves, the machine does not stop, and there is a good chance it will break the probe. I found a couple bug reports that would solve this, but they haven't had any action since 2017 (see 371 and 368 ).

As a workaround, I modified the default probe macros, replacing "G0" and "G1" with G38.3 wherever possible. An individual G38.3 move will stop the machine when the probe makes contact. The routine will then continue with the next move. If the next move is another G38.3 or a G38.2 (as is typical), then the probe routine will be aborted with an error like "probe already tripped at beginning of G38 move."

To use these macros, unzip and then move the macros folder into <your_home_directory>/linuxcnc/nc_files/probe/probe_basic/
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyCNC, BeagleBrainz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2020 04:16 #187980 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Safer Probing Macros
IIRC (should test) if the probe trips while in G1 moves, linuxcnc will error.
So if you change the G0 to G1 (with hi feed rate) then it will be safer too.
I think it would be nicer if you could use an M code to turn 'error on trip while not probing' on and off...

More
01 Nov 2020 15:23 #188011 by MaHa
Replied by MaHa on topic Safer Probing Macros
Wondering if i missed something, i tested on my machine. In MDI F5 mode, feed and rapid moves get aborted when the probe is triped, and an error is displayed. Same behaviour on manual F3 mode and keyboard jogging.
But running a .ngc file, the machine happily continues movement when probe is triped outside of a G38.n

More
02 Nov 2020 18:42 #188134 by lllars
Replied by lllars on topic Safer Probing Macros
@cmorely, I did test that before modifying the macros, and neither G0 or G1 error out when the probe trips (when called from a g-code file). They do error in MDI and MAN modes as MaHa points out. An M-code such as you mention would be the ideal solution. As far as I know, such an M-code does not exist yet, thus this workaround for the meantime.

@MaHa, I observed the same behavior as you, so I don't think you are missing anything. That is the reason I replaced G0 and G1's with G38's in the macros.

More
03 Nov 2020 07:15 #188182 by cmorley
Ahh i see - yes i tested with a MDI based test.
I'd add a feature request or bug fix entry on github for this.

More
03 Nov 2020 15:16 #188234 by lllars
Replied by lllars on topic Safer Probing Macros
Thanks Chris. Note that there are already a couple relevant github issues. See the links in my original post.

More
19 Nov 2020 02:16 #189749 by JohnnyCNC
Replied by JohnnyCNC on topic Safer Probing Macros
I was trying to figure out where to get the probe macros for use with QTDragon and the search found this thread. From reading it, it sounds like the ones posted above are the best available at the moment. I have a Hallmark ITTP probe on the way. In the meantime I did some VERY crude testing by manually tripping the signal. Looks like I am all set when the probe gets here. The only question I have is where should one normally find the macros?

Thank You
John

More
19 Nov 2020 03:51 #189751 by cmorley
probe routine paths in 2.8 are defined in the INI under: [RS274NGC]

In sim screen for instance this is the entry (path is relative to the INI location.)

SUBROUTINE_PATH = ../../../../nc_files/probe/basic_probe/macros

Chris

More
19 Nov 2020 04:04 #189752 by JohnnyCNC
Replied by JohnnyCNC on topic Safer Probing Macros
What I meant was I had to create the ../probe/basic_probe/macros directory but didn't know where to get the files to put in it.

John

More
19 Nov 2020 06:52 #189759 by cmorley
Illars posted a zipped file of them above.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds