QTDragon/Qtvcp unresponsive,

More
26 Jan 2021 02:00 #196594 by JohnnyCNC
Twice now I have had the UI go unresponsive. This last time I was just jogging the machine and checking the runout of some tool holders I had made. Both times it happened the machine was working when I left it to do something else and when I came back it was unresponsive. Both times the machine had been on most of the day. What should I did to try and gather more info toward figuring out why this is happening?

Thanks
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2021 02:17 #196597 by tommylight
Replace the power supply, remove memory sticks and test one by one, boot from a USB and test by running the existing config from the drive, remove the processor heat sink and check for paste/contact or just reapply some if you have it, check the processor fan.
Real time kernel will push the processor at the highest (or therein) working frequency and keep it there any time a real time app is launched, be it latency histogram or LinuxCNC, so power and cooling must OK.

More
26 Jan 2021 13:38 #196612 by JohnnyCNC

Replace the power supply, remove memory sticks and test one by one, boot from a USB and test by running the existing config from the drive, remove the processor heat sink and check for paste/contact or just reapply some if you have it, check the processor fan.
Real time kernel will push the processor at the highest (or therein) working frequency and keep it there any time a real time app is launched, be it latency histogram or LinuxCNC, so power and cooling must OK.

I'll give those things a look. The processor is fan-less but there is a fan drawing air across the motherboard through the heatsink fins. This is a J1800 board and only has one SODIMM. I do have paste on hand and could replace that. I can hook a thermistor to the heatsink and see if it is getting anywhere near hot. It has always stayed really cool in the past.

I forgot to mention that that I am using an ASUS VT229 touch screen. I tried unplugging the USB connection and plugging it back in and that did not fix it. I'll try a power cycle of the screen if it happens again. I also have a wireless keyboard and mouse connected at the moment and the mouse continued to move the cursor. Both times this happened I noticed it right as I was going to shutdown and go to bed so I didn't spend a lot of time trying things. At some point I got a window that popped up telling me the UI was not responding and asked if I wanted to wait or shutdown anyway. I also got to a point where LinuxCNC looked like it was shutdown and when I tried to start it is said LinuxCNC was already running do I want to restart it. I replied yes and it came up and looked and acted fine. At least for a very short test.

Thank You
John

Would starting from the command line help with getting any information should this happen again?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Jan 2021 23:52 #196685 by andypugh

Twice now I have had the UI go unresponsive. This last time I was just jogging the machine and checking the runout of some tool holders I had made. Both times it happened the machine was working when I left it to do something else and when I came back it was unresponsive.

I imagine that the jobs completed OK though?

When I had this issue I finally tracked it down to a dodgy USB wireless keyboard. It was flooding the system with USB connect / disconnect events.

Try unplugging mouse and keyboard and see if the problem goes away.

More
27 Jan 2021 01:55 #196696 by JohnnyCNC

Twice now I have had the UI go unresponsive. This last time I was just jogging the machine and checking the runout of some tool holders I had made. Both times it happened the machine was working when I left it to do something else and when I came back it was unresponsive.

I imagine that the jobs completed OK though?

When I had this issue I finally tracked it down to a dodgy USB wireless keyboard. It was flooding the system with USB connect / disconnect events.

Try unplugging mouse and keyboard and see if the problem goes away.

I was doing manual machining and measuring so no real job to complete. But, you may be onto something there. I normally wouldn't have the physical KB and mouse connected but it was just easier than using the on-screen KB since I was starting from the command line while debugging my remap. While I was doing that I noticed many times the display on my pendent would change from the normal display to "LINUXCNC" which is what is shows until I start LinuxCNC then it would switch back. This didn't seem to affect the operation although I usually noticed it while the pendent was hanging on the wall. Coincidentally I got another KB and mouse yesterday. I will try that one and see if it happens again. If it does I will remove it altogether. I shouldn't need it much longer anyway. I'd rather not have to resort to loading and running Wireshark to get this sorted out.

Thank you.
John

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds