Editing functionality of M61

More
02 Mar 2021 21:28 #200832 by tacklem60
I am looking to change the functionality of the M61 Qn button on the Tool screen of QTDragon. I have attempted to make the change in my handler file but have been unsuccessful so far and can't even find the tool page in qtdesigner.

I would like to add tool length compensation automatically during the M61 (or even change the M61 to a M6). I have tried locating the M61 line in the handler file and adding a G43 h{} inside the parentheses but that is clearly not the correct way to do this as it corrupts the load of LinuxCNC until delete those changes in the handler.

I'm really not sure if I am the outlier here, but I can't picture a time when I would want to change the tool number in the spindle and NOT have that tool offset also inserted so I'm hoping this change will also help others if it is simple enough to do. I like the idea of using M61 vs M6 because it removes the additional step of hitting ok on the manual tool change dialog that would be unnecessary in my opinion.

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2021 12:31 #200894 by cmorley
Change the line to something like this (this is for master branch)
 ACTION.CALL_MDI("M61 Q{} G43".format(checked[0]))
The following user(s) said Thank You: tacklem60

More
03 Mar 2021 19:03 #200929 by tacklem60
That worked perfectly. I am guessing it was an issue with my formatting and trying to add the h value in there. Simply typing g43 into the existing Q{} line was all that was needed. I think the GUI is finally setup exactly how I want it.

More
04 Mar 2021 01:49 #200975 by cmorley
I think there are two places that require that change - I saw another spot that had m61.

More
04 Mar 2021 02:03 #200979 by tacklem60
I actually stumbled on the same thing. I just searched M61, there are two places with the identical "M61 Q{}" text in it. For reference, placing G43 in the first occurance had no effect. The second place it shows up worked exactly as I wanted by simply adding G43 to the end of that statement.

As I said above, I really can't imagine a time where I would want to change the tool number in the spindle and not insert a G43 so it may be worth adding to the preinstalled QTDragon for other users as well.

Joe

More
04 Mar 2021 02:16 #200982 by cmorley
I think one is used only if you set auto reload last tool option.

Yes I can't imagine when you would not want the g43 - but i never ran cnc mills professionally.

I am certainly willing to change it if there is a number of requests.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ikkuh

More
29 May 2021 07:54 #210602 by ikkuh
Replied by ikkuh on topic Editing functionality of M61

I think one is used only if you set auto reload last tool option.

Yes I can't imagine when you would not want the g43 - but i never ran cnc mills professionally.

I am certainly willing to change it if there is a number of requests.

I vote for this. Will make auto toollength probing much more easily.

More
29 May 2021 16:45 #210637 by cmorley
ok done

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds