Stability issues with qtdragon_hd on Debian 11 Kernel 5.10.016rt

More
26 Jul 2022 16:39 - 27 Jul 2022 21:44 #248349 by Eyecon
Hello,
Reposting this report here hoping for a permanent solution.

I'm running on a quad core Celeron j4125, linuxcnc 2.9 complied from source and installed as package, XFCE desktop, Kernel 5.10 rt I get "error finishing read" randomly with my mesa cards(tested with a 7i96s and a 7i76e) only when running qtdragon/qtdragon_hd. I tried probe_basic and gmoccapy on the same machine and they both work perfectly fine for the same servo thread period on the same system. For reference, isolcpus makes no difference, so something strange is going on. When I try to session startup launch qtdragon upon login it, always throws the errorbefore the UI is even done loading, the only way I could get it to launch on startup is to create a small script that delays the start of linuxcnc by 10-15 seconds. It's almost as if  qtdragon is too processor intensive for my system that I have to finish loading the desktop before I can launch linuxcnc...again all other UIs perform fine even when started upon login.

The other thing is I always get segmentation fault upon exist but I can live with that if I can get it to run without crashing the hm2_eth component

Last edit: 27 Jul 2022 21:44 by Eyecon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2022 16:40 #249798 by tommylight
You never posted the result of
sudo top
To see what is loading the CPU or the memory so much when QtDragon loads.

More
15 Aug 2022 19:52 #249816 by cmorley
If you delay the start, then linuxcnc runs fine after (for a long time -like hours)?
I haven't seen this problem, so it's really hard to test - even if I knew what to look for.
Could you test with qtaxis as the gui as a temporary test - probably need to comment out some HAL pins. Just to see if the starting error still exists.

More
15 Aug 2022 20:30 #249818 by Eyecon
Since your error queue related fixes, the problem has not reoccurred on my setup. I was even able to start qtdragon immediately with no delay and so far didn’t get the “finished reading error again”. It was happening so randomly in the past(other than when trying to launch qtdragon during system startup) that I wasn’t even sure how to recreate the issue.

Again and to reconfirm, since my latest pull that included those error queue fixes among other things, I haven’t seen the issue reoccur and I’m now able to start qtdragon when the desktop session starts without having to delay like I used to before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cmorley

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds