qtdragon_hd touchoff and probing issue

More
29 May 2023 00:50 #272379 by cmorley
I just got versa probe's tool diameter with toolsetter routine fleshed out.

it doesn't look like verser probe actually had this finished.

as it is in qtvcp:
add INI settings:

# where in absolute machine units to probe the tool
[VERSA_TOOLSETTER]
X = 300
Y = 300
Z = -50
# how high to lift when moving to the tool setter
Z_MAX_CLEAR = 9.999
# tool setter diameter for diameter probing
DIAMETER = 25
# maximum machine units to lower while probing
MAXPROBE = -40

load a tool - the diameter in the toolfile will be used for positioning so needs to be reasonably close.
press the tool setter
first movements for Z height:
raise to safe Z height
move to tool setter (XY then Z)
offset X by tool radius (from toolfile)
( should probably add spindle on here)
probe Z
raise z clear
move back X by tool radius
second movement for diameter:
move X- to XY_clearance + toolsetter radius
move down in Z
probe X+
move up
move X+ to found edge then toolsetter diameter + _XY_clearance
move down
probe X-
move up
move to center
do the same in y
at the end it will display X center., Y center, Z height, and tool diameter
it does not actually set the tool offsets/diameter yet

I'm not sure the math is right yet as there are some code oddities as it's using probe diameter as well as toolsetter diameter in some of the calculations.

I don't actually have this type of toolsetter so am just using the sim to test with - so it's hard to check the math with accuracy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2023 01:05 #272382 by cmorley

So far I have only played with touching off using my 3D probe. Most of the setting I brought over from my working setup are not working . I normally place the probe tip within a .25 inch above the stock and in the back left corner within .25" of each edge. I then press the center probe button to probe the Z and then I press the back left problem button to probe the corner. The first problem I noticed if that the probe tip does not come down far enough to measure the XY. I can make in come down farther by setting Z_CLEARANCE to say .5" but then the probe ends up .5" after probing the Z. That means that I have to move the probe closer to the work after probing Z so that the ZY probing will work. I thought the EXTRA_DEPTH might help here but It has no effect.

John

Do the button images show the purple dot in the middle of the cross hairs?
purple dot represents the probe's rough start position.
If not then you have an older versions.

I say this because the extra_depth does have an effect when using the back left button - I just tested to confirm.

More
29 May 2023 01:20 #272383 by cmorley

Hi Chris,

standard and simplest workflow is to touch off work piece probe (a 3D probe) against the tool sensor. This will essentially measure length of the work piece probe (relative to the tool sensor). Depending on the probe clamping method, this is usually needed to be done once only. If your probe mounts in a varying Z or you need some extra precision, this step is needed every time before next two steps.

Next you simply measure both current tool in the spindle and work piece with each of the probes and it is ready to rock'n'roll.

If someone like to use a reference tool, whatever number >99 works for me.

Auto tool probe remap does this in qtdragon and gmoccapy at each tool change.
Sounds like I need to break it out so one can do it manually with a button.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 May 2023 13:00 #272426 by JohnnyCNC
No, Except for the center button of course. On the version I have the purple dots are where I would usaually place the probe tip before probing. The green cross hairs are where zero should be after probing. That all looks good to me.

I tried to grab the version of QTDragon_HD from master (/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtdragon) and put it in place but I started getting errors about not being able to connect a HAL pin S32 to float.

I also believe that I copied over the ngc files in ~\linuxcnc\nc_files\probe\basic_probe\macros when I copied my linuxcnc directory from my 2.8.4 working machine to the new one.

I might do a fresh install on a spare machine I have just so I have an un-molsted install to look at. I might even give compiling master from source, I can't do that on the PC that is connected to my mill because compiling takes almost 20 hours.

Thank you for all of your work on this.
John

More
29 May 2023 19:20 #272453 by JohnnyCNC
I was able to install what I thought was latest version and now the corner probing works as expected. But, now the key images have the purple dots inside the cross-hairs.

After I installed this version I started getting an error complaining about not being able to add a pin of type float.  
net eoffset-zlevel-count  scaled-s32-sums.0.in1 qtdragon.eoffset-value
This is in the Z level compensation which I'm not using so I just commented it out.

Also, what is the "Motion Type" field on the probe screen?

Thank You
John

More
30 May 2023 00:59 #272472 by cmorley
Purple dot should be at the cross hairs yes. i don;t think I have changed the angle setting buttons yet.
Glad you got the current work and are so far happy :)

For consistency that pin was changed so qtdragon and qtdragon_hd.

'motion type' will tell you the current motion when you are probing. 'probe', 'feed', 'rapid' good for debugging.

More
30 May 2023 01:21 #272473 by JohnnyCNC
Thanks Chris.
Having the purple dot in the cross-hair doesn't make sense to me. Having the purple dot show where to place the probe tip and the cross-hair show where zero will be after the probing is completed is how I interpreted the image the first time I saw it. I found the images and can have it the way I like it. LOL

I can wait tyo try the functions on the UTILS tab. I always wanted something like that.

Are probe_basic and basic_probe the same thing?

Thanks
John

More
30 May 2023 01:46 #272476 by cmorley
By design the probe starts and finishes in the same spot other then when it finishes it's accurate.
Obviously you can cheat the start point and everything works fine.
If you are probing a small clearance edge (ie slot) it could make a difference.

probe_basic was inspired from Basic Probe I'm sure. Basic Probe is the name of the whole screen mind you.

More
30 May 2023 10:33 #272490 by tommylight

probe_basic was inspired from Basic Probe I'm sure. Basic Probe is the name of the whole screen mind you.

Yup, and it should be changed as it causes a lot of mixups, any idea what it should be named?
Devs are willing to change it, i just could not come up with a good name. :(

More
30 May 2023 15:35 #272501 by cmorley
I'm certainly willing to change the name here. Qtpyvcp used the name first. Any suggestions?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds