QTDragonHD - Versa Probe - Failed probe turns on Spindle

More
20 Nov 2023 12:39 #286029 by jimwhiting
So I'm running QTDragonHD linuxcnc-uspavve version 1:2.9.0.62.gef17bb8ead

When running a probe z if the probe fails the spindle ends up turning on. (I now have a physical inhibit on the VFD after breaking 2 sets of wires).
Button clicked  probe_down
[QTvcp.QTVCP.WIDGETS.VERSA_PROBE][INFO]  Versa_Probe started with PID 2526
 (versa_probe.py:297)
[DEFAULT.QTVCP.WIDGETS.PROBE_ROUTINES][DEBUG]  MDI_WAIT_COMMAND= G38.2 Z-5.0 F30.0, maxt = 30 (probe_routines.py:147)
[DEFAULT.QTVCP.QT_ACTION][DEBUG]  CALL_MDI Command: G38.2 Z-5.0 F30.0 (qt_action.py:182)

G38.2 move finished without making contact.
ERROR INFO Probe routine: Probe down: fast probe failed: G38.2 move finished without making contact.

[QTvcp.QTVCP.WIDGETS.VERSA_PROBE][INFO]  Probe Process finished - exitCode 0 exitStatus 0 (versa_probe.py:310)

I'm not seeing anything in any logs about the spindle turning on, however the LED on the spindle start clockwise button turns on.

Any ideas as to what is happening... if the probe fails, does it skip some shutdown code?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2023 12:54 #286032 by jimwhiting
I've tracked the LED on the QT Dragon turning on due to the M70/M72 use. Although that doesn't kick the spindle into running.

More
21 Nov 2023 13:54 - 21 Nov 2023 13:54 #286167 by cmorley
Looking into this soon. I will surely have more questions.
Can you explain how the spindle is controlled - an VFD it looks like. over serial port or using +-10 volt?
Last edit: 21 Nov 2023 13:54 by cmorley.

More
21 Nov 2023 14:12 #286169 by jimwhiting
Hi,

Thanks in advance for looking at it!

Spindle is controlled over rs485. Using MB2HAL. I haven't managed to get it to do it again despite trying.

I had a macro from the QTDragon Facing/decking screen loaded as the program. I think somehow it kicked the cycle start state... I've not seen anything in the probing routines that would directly start the spindle.

-Jim.

More
21 Nov 2023 21:15 - 21 Nov 2023 21:38 #286197 by jimwhiting
I've been working through to try and figure it out... it looks like the probe_down(self) routine is not working for some reason. It errored out when I used it and then the spindle came on.
[code]Tue21 21:03: HISTORY Probe Down did not finish
Tue21 21:03: ERROR INFO Probe routine: Probe down: latch return failed: Command timed out: (30 second)

It completes the first search and the probe enables. It the doesn't do the raise?

(Which is odd as the probe block height, and the probe tool setter both do the same thing and work fine...)

Once it fails to do the raise, it will then not respond to any MDI commands. I have to click stop, then move it with the buttons on the screen. Only then I can enter MDI commands.[/code]
Last edit: 21 Nov 2023 21:38 by jimwhiting.

More
25 Nov 2023 22:40 #286507 by cmorley
I am seeing the fwd spindle button change when g72 is called. I mostly understand the problem there but, I don't see how that turned on the spindle yet - none of the HAL pins change state.

More
25 Nov 2023 22:44 #286508 by cmorley
Ok the spindle brake pin changes.

More
26 Nov 2023 01:57 #286519 by cmorley
I think I see how the spindle started.
Can you try this on you machine - don't put the probe in!

in MDI set:

S500 (or whatever safe speed)
M3 or M4
Stop the spindle with the screen 'stop spindle' button

now use probe down on the probe screen.
and immediately abort with the screen 'stop' key or keyboard escape key.

I think the spindle will be running now.

Chris

More
26 Nov 2023 14:11 #286550 by JohnnyCNC
I am running QTDragon_HD and I think I ran into this issue while testing and trying to resolve an issue with my pendant. My spindle didn't actually start because I have a spindle lock that disables the spindle while using the probe.

I'll try your test and report back.

More
26 Nov 2023 14:24 #286551 by JohnnyCNC
I ran the test and yes, the spindle turns on when I cancel the probe with the ESC key or it does not make contact withing the specified distance.

I'm really glad I was using a spindle lock with a disable feature.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds