QtDragonHD - How exactly does tool measurement work ?

More
20 Dec 2023 11:00 - 20 Dec 2023 12:28 #288660 by karnalta
Hello all,

I have some issues with the tool measurement behavior but I have hard time understanding it because I am not sure how it work.

Here is my workflow :
- From the Utils screen, I probe block and table to set workpiece height (like 40mm).
- In Probe screen, I ensure the Measure Tool is checked and then I start my program.
- At tool change, it goes to my tool setter and probe the tool.

It then work perfectly and machine my piece.

Then when I want to flip off my piece to mill the other side and here come my issue.
- From the Utils screen, I probe block base and table to set workpiece height (like 20mm).
- In Probe screen, I ensure the Measure Tool is checked and then I start my program.
- At tool change, it goes to my tool setter and probe the tool.

But then, tool is way off the top of the piece, like it still has the previous workpiece height in memory. I even try to set extreme value in the Workpiece Height textbox but tool stay at the exact same place even after a new tool measurement.

Does the UI use Workpiece Height field or the BlockHT and ProbeHT value from probe screen ? How does it work exactly ?

Thank for help.

EDIT 1
I did a few more tests and it look like the Workpiece Height and utils screen is not really used ?

I have just used the Probe screen this time, by probing block height and tool setter height and have started my program (which did a tool measurement) and it's working fine.

Maybe I had done this during my previous tests (same test piece) and so I had values in block height and tool setter height and I wasn't realizing that the Workpiece Height has no effect ?
Last edit: 20 Dec 2023 12:28 by karnalta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2023 06:54 #288864 by cmorley
Versa probe always uses the setting of block height on its tab.
The calculated work height utility is not transferred to versa probe.
That would be a good addition though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyCNC

More
23 Dec 2023 09:44 #288874 by karnalta
Thank for the info.

And what is "Workpiece Height" used for ?

More
29 Dec 2023 07:43 #289301 by cmorley
You can use it to calculate the block height by probing.
work piece height = block height

linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/gui/qtdrag...uto_tool_measurement

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds