I want to use QTAxis, is it meant to be used?

More
10 May 2024 23:12 #300358 by hachi
Thank you for that adjustment, axis itself allows loading files without activating the machine.

Going back up the stack of things I asked... regarding the reload button you asked if I had a pref file path set

First, I do not, but verbose mode says
[QTvcp][INFO] Preference path: ~/.qtvcp_screen_preferences (qtvcp:416)
That file does exist and contain the preferences, so I think this should be working fine.

Second, if I set the value without a full path like
PREFERENCE_FILE_PATH = qtaxis.pref
qtvcp does not like that and fails to start with
ValueError: could not convert string to float: ''

Stack trace  

File Attachment:

File Name: stacktrace.txt
File Size:2 KB
in case you'd like to examine this.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2024 14:52 #300390 by cmorley
Ok I have pushed a fix for the 'PREFERENCE_FILE_PATH = qtaxis.pref' error.
Thanks for the detailed report

I think reload works for graphics, but it does not reset the view or clear the plot lines.
I loaded chips.ngc, then edited the tool number and reloaded - it used the new tool number.
I think it should at ;least clear the plot lines.
I see the gcode display does not reload with the button push though.

I also didn't know linuxcnc's interpreter will always reload the file when you press start.
I don't think that's a very good idea but I guess I should add a check for changes to warn the user.

For now I will have reload clear the plot and fix the gcode not updating.
Thank you again.

More
14 May 2024 23:34 #300632 by hachi
Actually I think linuxcnc has a problem where files are accessed on disk for the entire time the gcode is running. I have recently copied new ngc files onto the machine while the interpreter is running and things break.

I do understand that this is my fault, but it should probably get locking/tempfile/something safety check to make sure the interpreter doesn't do anything dangerous as a result of replacing an ngc file on disk while it is running.

More
15 May 2024 00:08 #300634 by hachi
Just a quick note on my supposition above, I'm not sure of this... and I'm not trying to lob it out and say it's a bug report, but the whole problem of editor/preview/interpreter loading of the file seems to be disconnected to me and I want to learn why.

More
15 May 2024 04:53 #300642 by hachi
@cmorley I've created github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/2977 because I think this change could be good for people in general (not just my customized machine)

I tested edit mode and get what I think is the right behavior from it (maximizes to window and shrink back down again)

Resizing the window seems to have reasonable behavior, the size of the splitters are implicitly saved by the preferences it seems.

There is an open question of whether things should be collapsible or not, right now the gcode_editor splitter is collapsible, but the other is not. Let me know if you want me to change this, or if you want me to just ditch the PR because you don't want it.

Thank you for all your help on this.

More
15 May 2024 07:11 #300660 by hachi
There is something rendering on my machine in front of the status bar.

It is visible in 2.6.2, master, and my splitter branch

It looks different based on what theme I am using:

Do you have any idea what it is? or how I could identify it?
Attachments:

More
16 May 2024 15:38 #300760 by hachi
Ah, it's a progress bar that is somehow covering messages, I wonder if that's supposed to render under for some reason.

More
16 May 2024 15:50 #300761 by hachi

Ah, it's a progress bar that is somehow covering messages, I wonder if that's supposed to render under for some reason.

For future readers, a fix for this is qtaxis_handler.py in make_progressbar change addWidget to addPermanentWidget, which will move the progress bar off of the text section of the status bar, and permanently install it in the right side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
17 May 2024 04:35 #300799 by cmorley
The temporary status messages are supposed to override the progressbar.
This was to let the status message have the most length possible.
I don't think it render properly on all systems.

You are missing two signals to make the progress bar work.
one from gcode_editor to self.percentCompleted
one from gcode_graphics to self.percentLoaded
These are added in designer and if you move the wrong things they get disconnected.

I see they are missing from the the 2.9 version too.
I like your changes and will incorporate them shortly.

Chris

More
18 May 2024 01:29 - 19 May 2024 09:32 #300885 by hachi
Thank you for fixing the progress bar.

Can you check on your machine if the progress bar is full width of your screen, because on mine no matter what size I make the window and in all the themes I've tried it only takes up 50% of the width of the status bar.

If that is the case, I would suggest switching it to addPermanentWidget because you won't get any extra space for the progress bar normally, but you can make it so both the status bar text and the progress bar are visible at the same time then.

Or maybe there's something missing in the .qss to define the width of the bar. I dunno.

Thank you for merging my splitter changes.

I've also created github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/2981 for you, to clean up some print calls in qtaxis_handler.py
Never mind that, you took care of it in master.
Last edit: 19 May 2024 09:32 by hachi. Reason: Strikeout a dead PR

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds