My X2 "franken" mill

More
04 Sep 2015 23:01 #62132 by rythmnbls
Over the past year or so I converted an X2 mill to CNC, along the way I got a bit carried away with "improving" it.

Essentially it has a new steel tubular epoxy concrete filled frame, new acme lead-screws with acetyl nuts for zero backlash and a 3 axis servo kit from automation tech.

It's running 2.7.0-pre7 with an XHC-HB04 pendant and Gmoccapy as the default gui.

Some of my reasons for the motion control choices are covered here
bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/43645-...ew-nuts-the-easy-way

Photos of the the entire fiasco :P

s87.photobucket.com/user/madluther/library/Mill?sort=2&page=1

Regards

Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2015 19:25 #63060 by GaryLa
Replied by GaryLa on topic My X2 "franken" mill
Where did you purchase the epoxy concrete? Is this the same as what I've seen called "epoxy granite"?

More
27 Sep 2015 20:03 #63063 by rythmnbls
Replied by rythmnbls on topic My X2 "franken" mill
The epoxy granite/concrete was made from an 80lb bag of Quikrete and 1 gallon of West System epoxy. 6 parts of Quikrete to 1 part of epoxy.

Its primary function was vibration absorption for which it exceeded my expectations.

Some more info here.

www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showpos...=269247&postcount=32

Regards,

Steve.

More
28 Sep 2015 00:51 #63076 by GaryLa
It's kind of bizarre that you did this given I've been working on the same mill concept off and on for the past 8 months.

I was thinking of filling the interior of the tubes with "epoxy granite" -- only because I've been following some machining sites from Germany and that is discussed there often.

I finished my motor and ball screws mounts today. I only have the spindle to address now.

I also used a counterbalance! Where/how did you decide on that? I got the idea originally from seeing an X2 using some sort of a spring on its Z.

More
28 Sep 2015 01:05 #63078 by GaryLa
After looking at more of your posts and the ones you referenced at "home model engine machinist", I feel like I've been living in a cave...

More
28 Sep 2015 21:03 #63146 by rythmnbls

I also used a counterbalance! Where/how did you decide on that? I got the idea originally from seeing an X2 using some sort of a spring on its Z.

I stole that idea from this thread, www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=7846 I wasn't to keen on the air spring style of mod, I had some doubts about if they could provide a constant counter force throughout the whole of the Z axis travel, so i went with a counter weight.

After looking at more of your posts and the ones you referenced at "home model engine machinist", I feel like I've been living in a cave...

Perhaps we both have :lol:

Good luck with your spindle mods.

Regards,

Steve.

More
05 Nov 2015 19:27 #64814 by GaryLa
Spindle mods are finally complete. I am ready to get the epoxy project going.

Have you experienced any vibration-related destruction of the material? I was wondering if it might break down after a while and start crumbling. Especially at the ends of the tubes or in corners.

More
05 Nov 2015 22:05 #64828 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic My X2 "franken" mill

I stole that idea from this thread, www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=7846 I wasn't to keen on the air spring style of mod, I had some doubts about if they could provide a constant counter force throughout the whole of the Z axis travel, so i went with a counter weight.

A counterweight increases the moving mass, however.

A pneumatic cylinder with a relieving regulator will provide a constant (and adjustable) counter-force, but does need a compressed air supply.

More
06 Nov 2015 03:07 #64852 by rythmnbls

Spindle mods are finally complete. I am ready to get the epoxy project going.

Have you experienced any vibration-related destruction of the material? I was wondering if it might break down after a while and start crumbling. Especially at the ends of the tubes or in corners.

Not so far, the "granite" looks just like it did when it first cured. Its ability to absorb vibrations doesn't seem to have changed. I'm still happy with its performance.

Regards,

Steve.

More
06 Nov 2015 22:05 #64899 by GaryLa
Excellent news, thank you.

I bought a gallon of the 205 and a quart of the 206 yesterday (it's all they had in stock). I will pour some samples this weekend.

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds