RugBot 1000

More
13 Jan 2018 03:25 #104381 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic RugBot 1000

Linuxcnc is very rich in features and there is documentation on this website but not any "manuals" that I am aware of. This forum and its users are the best resource but you have to figure out what to ask..

The documentation (manuals) for Linuxcnc can be found here.
linuxcnc.org/docs/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2019 06:20 - 22 May 2019 06:21 #134551 by deanforbes
Replied by deanforbes on topic RugBot 1000
Just went to point some one at this and saw the video on youtube has died ..... would be good if we could see the rugbot in action :-)

I have been working on my rugbot for a few years now and it is finally up and running. Like many projects there is room for improvements. Many thanks to the kind folks here for their help. When I started I knew nothing about CNC and figured that open source was the only way to go. The key things I found were using Inkscape and gcodetools tangent knife to create the paths, then using "hypot" of only the X & Y axis to input a velocity command to drive the needle keeps even spacing at any speed. Thanks and I hope you find the video entertaining

Last edit: 22 May 2019 06:21 by deanforbes.

More
22 May 2019 11:17 #134567 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic RugBot 1000
Are the videos working for you guys? It says video not available for me.

More
22 May 2019 11:19 #134568 by tecno
Replied by tecno on topic RugBot 1000
Same here

More
22 May 2019 11:51 - 22 May 2019 11:51 #134572 by deanforbes
I often get asked what else from lathes and mills can linuxcnc do, I then point them at this as I think this is a good example of a different application (sure the principles are similar but it is interesting and different

I assume the video has disappeared as a result of some housekeeping either by the original poster or youtube etc and hope it will be replaced

:-)
Last edit: 22 May 2019 11:51 by deanforbes.

More
22 May 2019 11:59 #134573 by Badger
Replied by Badger on topic RugBot 1000
Yes, I was doing some house cleaning but it is back. the mechanics shown have changed some and I really should update the video. Thanks for watching and if you have any questions please let me know. It goes to show what crazy stuff can be done with LinuxCNC with the help of all you kind folks on the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deanforbes

More
22 May 2019 12:00 #134574 by deanforbes

I often get asked what else apart from lathes and mills can linuxcnc do, I then point them at this as I think this is a good example of a different application (sure the principles are similar but it is interesting and different

I assume the video has disappeared as a result of some housekeeping either by the original poster or youtube etc and hope it will be replaced

:-)

More
05 Aug 2019 14:43 #141422 by rjd1234
Replied by rjd1234 on topic RugBot 1000
Hi Badger,

Your RugBot looks really cool.

I am working on a CNC sewing machine. forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...hine-question#141420

My approach was to move x and y into position, stop, cycle the needle motor 360 degrees, stop the needle up, and move x and y again. This is working, but is not as fast as I would like. So I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to keep the needle motor (my A axis) moving and then move the x and y when the A axis is between 160 and 360 degrees.

I downloaded your .hal and .ini files from this thread. I was wondering if you can post some of your G Code so that I can see how your are doing your positioning subroutine.

Any other ideas you have, please let me know.

More
06 Aug 2019 02:25 #141468 by Badger
Replied by Badger on topic RugBot 1000
I’m away from my computer for a couple of days but will send a sample as soon as I can. I first started with a system of stopping for each needle punch, lifting, and then moving, and it was too slow and jerky. Also I don’t use a bobbin on the back side so that may make a difference. My stitches are 4.5mm long, I use 250 stitches per minute and don’t have any problems with the continuous movement causing any problems. The fabric gives enough so some lateral needle movement isn’t a problem.

More
06 Aug 2019 12:49 #141521 by rjd1234
Replied by rjd1234 on topic RugBot 1000
Thank you Badger. Yeah, my main concern about running the needle like a spindle is how it will interact with the hook. I'm guessing it won't tolerate much bending in the y, but the x will be more forgiving. Just have to try it and see.

It would be very helpful if the needle stepper would still count steps - even when it is in spindle mode. Then I could run a subroutine at certain times to get everything back to the top.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds