Joystick Input on Lathe

More
11 Nov 2017 00:05 #101634 by 10K
Joystick Input on Lathe was created by 10K
I built a joystick for input on my lathe. I wrote a newsletter article that describes the build that's located here:
LinuxCNC Joystick

Files are included in the article for 3D printing the enclosure and for configuring LinuxCNC.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tchefter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2017 11:46 #101691 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Joystick Input on Lathe
How do you like it? I would expect it to feel like an unnatural way to jog a lathe (Which is why I put two jogwheels on the apron of mine) but perhaps I am wrong and it feels intuitive?

More
12 Nov 2017 18:14 #101700 by 10K
Replied by 10K on topic Joystick Input on Lathe
Andy-

I like it a lot. I have a pendant with a jogwheel (MPG), and I use it if I need to do a super fine adjustment, or if I want to "manually" cut, face or part. You can use the joystick to do that, and I have, but I think that you get better control with the jogwheel.

The thing that makes this nice:
- You can move easily in the X and Z direction at the same time
- The small button on the left side of the enclosure, when held down, makes the joystick work in turtle mode. When you don't push it down, you get rabbit mode. (I'm using Gmoccapy, and this is what it calls these modes)
- And of course the big thing is that I don't miss the buttons on my touch screen when I am focusing on the movement of the cutter
- It's inexpensive compared to a jogwheel

The main uses:
- moving the cutter around to align it with my tool setter
- making the large rough adjustments before setting Z, generally finalized with the jogwheel
- moving the cutter out of the way when measuring or mounting parts in the chuck

More
12 Nov 2017 19:20 #101702 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Joystick Input on Lathe

- The small button on the left side of the enclosure, when held down, makes the joystick work in turtle mode. When you don't push it down, you get rabbit mode. (I'm using Gmoccapy, and this is what it calls these modes)

This is becase Norbert is German and the German language does not distinguish between tortoises and turtles (or, for that matter, slugs and snails)

Maybe it should be tortoise mode with coolant off and turtle mode with coolant on.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds