Control cabinet\box rebuild

More
09 Oct 2020 03:36 #185423 by BeagleBrainz
So it's about time to clean up the electricals, mainly due to having to house the electrics for the spindle controller & changing from a Mini ITX Board to the Odroid.

So I thought the best place to start would be with said Odroid and some where to put the Mes 7i92, 7i74 & &776. So this is the first prototype. Odroid still needs a mount for a fan and a holder for the battery. If the mill was going I may have made them out of Aluminium, but for now they are just 3D printed.

Also picked this up off ebay, size is 600x600x900. Is now on castors has been cleaned out and I need to pick up 2 small pieces of sheet metal to mount things on.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2020 06:41 #185559 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Control cabinet\box rebuild
Looks good. It would be good to include a pic with a ruler so people get an idea how small your controller frame is!
The following user(s) said Thank You: shortcircuit48

More
10 Oct 2020 08:05 - 10 Oct 2020 08:49 #185564 by BeagleBrainz
Horizontal sleds mount on 1.75" centres. Overall height just a tad under 5". Would fit in a 4U rack case. Height gauge is resting on top of connectors.

Just for reference the Odroid is on a 110x110mm board, smaller in area than a 120mm pc fan. Overall hieght is 47mm that includes the Ram & NVME drive mounted underneath.

Frame for Odroid now has a prototype sled for a fan, it will need a bit of tidying up which I'll do once the fan arrives. The Odroid uses a 5V PMW fan so I had to order a Noctua fan from Amazon US.
Sorry about the crap photo.
Looking from front)
Mesa frames are 5 wide (incl uprights)x 5.25 deep, sleds are 4.250 wide (not incl uprights).
Odroid frames are 5.33 wide (incl uprights) x 5.25 deep, sleds are 4.580 wide (not incl uprights)

As I said this is just a prototype and needs tidying.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Oct 2020 08:49 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, thefabricator03, selroc

More
10 Oct 2020 08:19 #185566 by rodw
Thanks, I knew the size but not many others would appreciate how tiny the Odroid is.

Do you really think it needs a fan? Its not like we are smashing the GPU or anything. I have not bothered but can mount one on the enclosure...

More
10 Oct 2020 08:38 #185568 by BeagleBrainz
Maybe, maybe not.
My garage gets pretty hot in summer, so I guess it can't hurt too much. The only real way to tell would be to put it thru it's paces and keep an eye on the temp.
ATM I have a 1 unit case for the ITX board I'm using, a 2U for the Mesa electronics and a 3U for the stepper PSU & drives.

Currently I'm thinking of having a panel in the middle of the enclosure I have. Servo drive, contactors, filters, reactor, psu for the contactor, psu for the 7i83 on the panel.

On the other side the either on a separate vertical panel or slide out horizontal shelves I'll mount the rest of the gear. I'd still like to have a modular approach. But I'm a kind of do it & see type. Still not 100% how or where I'll put the 7i73.

More
10 Oct 2020 09:10 #185573 by rodw
I think the 7i73 should live with the monitor. (I'd put the Odroid there too.) A mill is a different machine to plasma but I want two enclosures, one for the HMI and one for the mesa cards and drivers etc. I found some cool (but expensive) HMI mounting hardware at Tro-pacific,

More
10 Oct 2020 09:20 - 10 Oct 2020 09:54 #185577 by BeagleBrainz
That's going to be the next problem, where do I put the monitor once I have my enclosure in place. My total work space is 5.4 x 2.4, with 600mm wide racking on each long wall it's a little cramped. Just enough room for storage on one side and lathe, mill & workbench space on the other. I reckon Tommy has probably built a plasma table bigger than my work space.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2020 09:54 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
10 Oct 2020 09:32 #185579 by tommylight

My total work space is 5.4 x 2.4, with 600m wide racking on each long wall it's a little cramped

600M !! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
10 Oct 2020 10:14 #185583 by rodw

That's going to be the next problem, where do I put the monitor once I have my enclosure in place. My total work space is 5.4 x 2.4, with 600mm wide racking on each long wall it's a little cramped. Just enough room for storage on one side and lathe, mill & workbench space on the other. I reckon Tommy has probably built a plasma table bigger than my work space.

Pfft!! A walk in the park. My shed at home was 2.4 x 4.8 and I had a lathe, mill, big MIG welder, bandsaw and bench grinder! It also has a lot of shelving. It took me 3 months before I worked out where I could put the mill before I bought it! I had to do a $1500 storage makeover to make it all fit and that was after $500 of shelving in the garden shed so I could get non-shop stuff out the shed!

More
10 Oct 2020 11:34 #185593 by BeagleBrainz
Oh yeah I forgot about a 3 tonne jack + axle stands, engine crane, engine stand, ATV lift, front & rear paddock stands, metal bandsaw, drill press, table saw, bench grinder, disc sander, mini table saw, air compressor, drop saw. Bike lives on the front porch ;)

I have some extra body work for the Monster in my bedroom as well as a spare set of forks under the bed.

The ex wife may or may not have some of my old bikes in her garage. I'm not game to ask.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds