CNC router from industial scrap

More
20 Jun 2021 07:32 - 21 Jun 2021 12:27 #212464 by Mr. Mass
As it is clear from topic name I am doing a CNC router (surprisingly, but still). For many years I have been buying various funny things from time to time and when the number of these things exceeded the critical mass, this machine was born. I still don't have a permanent workshop so I need to be able to quickly disassemble and move this CNC to another place. So this is a temporary installation and this is a tool for learning mostly. There is a lot of compromises in it and still a lot of work ahead, but at least by now the machine is up and running and it works, and works surprisingly well. In the past I helped setup different CNC, most of them were powered by mach3, but I am always interested in learning something new and have long wanted to try to figure out LinuxCNC.
So, this is my first attempt with both LinuxCNC and Linux in general and I am still doing my best to learn all of this. I would like to thank you all for your willingness and patience, without your advises and tips the making of this machine would be very delayed, if it were possible at all.

Last edit: 21 Jun 2021 12:27 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, arvidb, Clive S, johnmc1, BeagleBrainz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2021 07:35 #212465 by robertspark
nice

More
20 Jun 2021 08:49 #212466 by BeagleBrainz
Jolly good show old chap.

More
20 Jun 2021 11:52 #212478 by tommylight
Very nice, thank you.

More
03 Jul 2021 14:27 #213564 by my1987toyota
For something that is made from "industrial scrap" that looks really well made. Linux has a lot of similarities with windows so even though their is
a learning curve it isn't terrible.  Linuxcnc and Mach3 have similarities but their is a leaning curve . Get to know your manual and you will have lots
of questions the more complicated your build gets. This forum does a fantastic job of answering questions. Their are also video's on YouTube if 
your more video inclined ( like me ). Your electrical cabinet already looks way better then any of my stuff. LOL

More
15 Jul 2021 18:37 #214912 by Mr. Mass
Thank you all for feedback, I'm really appreciated. 
Slowly moving forward, decided to build some kind of dust collector. Never design thinks like this, got ton of issues from overall design, finding appropriate parts and materials and ending with the assembly itself. Doesn't look as good as I would like, but at first glance everything works. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
17 Jul 2021 11:51 #215130 by Mr. Mass
Quick question.
Is it normal the frequency floats a little for Mesa 7i76e analog control? The voltage is normal, at least my multimeter doesn't see difference. With hardware resistor work fine. Short video - vimeo.com/576152424

More
24 Jul 2021 05:46 #215740 by Mr. Mass
Finally finished dust collector, it worked out quite well.

Replaced old 1.2kW spindel to the new one 2.2kW, and added some watercooling stuff, work much better. 

Just a little upset this floating frequency issue, especially at low revs. The old spindel was 42k rpm, i have never run it lower 20k rpm and this frequency issue was not big. But new 2.2kW has standard 24k rpm and the work not smooth if frequency less than 200Hz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, berntmartin

More
24 Jul 2021 13:45 #215777 by tommylight
That is some magnificent use of PC cooling parts ! And the dust collector looks like a nuclear reactor chamber !
:) very nice, thank you.
Those spindles do not like anything under 8000 RPM, sometimes it is written on their manuals.

More
25 Jul 2021 05:51 #215839 by Mr. Mass
Thanks, I built watercooling PC in last year (many years dream) and some unused parts fit perfectly with this machine.
About spindel - this one has 4-pole and works normal from 3000rpm. It's not a big problem in my case because the rigidity of this machine will not allow working with a large tool at such speeds. But I would like to understand maybe I misunderstood something or did something wrong.

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds