New Project in the Works Plasma 7i96s with 2 THCad2

More
11 Apr 2024 15:32 #298005 by FlaredFins
Decided to show my setup off, still a work in progress the drivers shown in the picture will be replaced with the ones currently on my MACH4 plasma table. Hoping this will be a good decision to make the switch as I have had nothing but issues over the last 3 years in MACH4. I went with the 7i96s and two THCad2 cards. Basically this design follows the Lowrider series at least that's what I'm seeing it called. Using a Beelink s12 Pro with 16gb ram only issue with it so far appears to be the WIFI and Bluetooth arent supported in the 6.1 Kernel I tried the 6.5 kernel and they worked but than had latency issues in Linuxcnc 6.6 kernel seems ok so far but wont know really until I have it all in place and physically running the table. The goal is to get this controller having only 3 cables coming out of it and going to the table, minus the power cord. I currently do have 5 aviation plugs installed as Im still researching if i might have issues with EMI or any other random issue running say a 22/20 shielded cable to the gantry. All Prox switches are run in the same manner using a 22/12 shielded cable. I ran an extra HDMI and USB extension cable to the right side of the panel in case I want to add a larger monitor down the road and the usb to bring in files for the machine to cut. The Beelink is setup in bios to power on when the master switch is turned on so no need to open the panel to access the power button. When I do transfer the electronics over to the table Ill be making a few more cuts to the panel to add a fan in and some extra breather holes for ventilation.I couldnt figure out how to add the images inline with the text so I guess Ill Add them as attachments.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, wolfram

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2024 11:35 #298063 by tommylight
Just a friendly warning, USB extensions usually work ok if the cable is good and shielded, HDMI will most probably not work due to interference from plasma pilot arc, but do give it a try if you can, before splurging for a larger monitor.
I have a video of plasma causing the screen to go blank in the other shop, from the shop with full metal cladding about 8 meters away, using a crappy 28 Euro display port cable. So price is not the deciding factor of cable quality, i have much chepaer cables that have no such issues. Lately i only buy Baseus, Anker, or Ugreen cables, so far no disappointment.
As for Mach4, i feel sorry for what you had to go through, from reading on the net it was worse than 3, by a lot.
Welcome to the dark side, once you get LinuxCNC running, you never go back. Having machines running for 15 years without a single issue, ever, is so calming... :)

More
12 Apr 2024 11:47 #298064 by FlaredFins
Thanks for the heads up, I have seen those issues on a Wright CNC table running Mach3 super annoying. For the extensions I did not think to see if they are shielded or not guess ill go look it up.
I do have a 32 inch LCD that on occasion I throw the screen up to when I'm not babysitting the table and haven't had an issue on that one.
I Should upload images of the current setup table and old electronics.for This Build I'm using end crimps and heat shrink on all the wires and trying to reduce the number of cables that run through the cable carriers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Apr 2024 12:08 #298065 by tommylight

I do have a 32 inch LCD that on occasion I throw the screen up to when I'm not babysitting the table and haven't had an issue on that one.

This
www.youtube.com/shorts/P2xzqh3M9Rc

More
12 Apr 2024 21:10 #298128 by rodw
For file transfers, a short USB extension will be fine. There are some niceĀ  IP67 industrial connectors with dustcaps. Not so sure about HDMI as it implies a long term connection.
Personally, I would add a Wifi dongle with external antenna and transfer files to Linuxcnc via the network.

More
12 Apr 2024 21:20 #298133 by FlaredFins
I still want to get wifi and bluetooth working in 6.1 Kernel they work in 6.6 kernel but not sure if ill run into latency issues like i did in 6.5kernel. But yes when I have wifi working the reception is cut in half when the cabinet door is closed.

More
12 Apr 2024 21:24 #298134 by rodw
Get something likeĀ netplus.com.au/products/usb-wifi-adapter...ith-external-antenna
and a SM4 bulkhead cable (get the connectors right). Then you can relocate the antenna to the exterior. DOne this a few times now.

More
13 Apr 2024 19:12 #298192 by FlaredFins
Found one on amazon. Just did my last cuts in Mach4 did 104 circles for a customer. time to tear down this table and start installing the new parts and hopefully fire up Linuxcnc next week sometime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds