1990s Millport CNC Vertical Mill Revival

More
27 Jun 2024 01:26 #303864 by salvagedcircuitry
Hey Guys. I am new to this forum, but I've been a longtime lurker. I just finished documenting my repair of a 1990s Millport CNC vertical mill from a non-functioning brick to a floppy-wielding chip thrower. Even though this is a Bridgeport clone machine, it is surprisingly stout and has all Anilam controls with Baldor servos. I detailed the entire troubleshooting process and PCB level repairs needed to make this DOS based servo-drive CNC shift some 1s and 0s and throw chips again:

salvagedcircuitry.com/90s-cnc-revival.html

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this repair even though I decided to repair the controller and not switch to LinuxCNC. I was seriously considering it for a while, but I wanted to give the stock electronics a fare shake before I decided to jump headfirst into a retrofit. This is an early 1990s intel 486 computer based CNC, and while it's old, it's still capable. I included some video of it working toward the end of the writeup.

Let me know what you think!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, B.Reilly01, Unlogic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2024 12:53 #303894 by B.Reilly01
I work on a late-80's Bridgeport EZTrak 286 machine that runs off a floppy. Sometimes the path of least resistance is NOT the retrofit. Congrats on getting an old beast up and chip slinging. Ultimately, isn't that the goal of all of us?

More
27 Jun 2024 19:27 #303925 by salvagedcircuitry
Thanks for the kind words! Some thorough troubleshooting and a bit of luck truly paid dividends here. I'm still amazed that a 1MB ISA flash card, DOS and a floppy is all you need to parse some G-code and make some servos move. Nuts!

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds