Hydraulic Pipe Bender Retrofit - BLM C88

More
11 Aug 2024 17:58 - 13 Aug 2024 15:29 #307487 by ContinenteCNC
This is a retrofit from a little while ago. It is a massive Italian pipe bender from the '80s.

In principle, it is a simple machine in terms of kinematics, but the size is intimidating. It had dozens of powerful hydraulic actuators and sensors, most of which would destroy themselves if actuated in the wrong sequence.

Two axes were driven by servo motors. We had to keep the old analog servo drivers, which was a requirement. They have resolvers and translators to encoder-like signals in each driver.

The 'bender' axis is hydraulic and uses a proportional valve for control. It is massive, and it’s hard to describe the sheer force this machine has—quite scary.

The kinematics were implemented in G-code, and the final result consists of several O-codes and routines working with custom HAL components to make everything function. In the end, it was about a second slower than the original one.

I had the opportunity to work with a great company that handled everything else. I just had to do the CNC work. It was a three-week job, working an average of 10-12 hours a day. It was worth it. The machine is working flawlessly.

This piece below is one of the most complicated ones in terms of logic. To avoid collisions, the machine has to release the pipe, bend it, hold it once again, and then push it to the last bend. The operator only has to input the dimensions, and the code is able to figure out on its own if there will be a collision and choose a way to avoid it.

This is the typical speed the machine runs

Last edit: 13 Aug 2024 15:29 by ContinenteCNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, pommen, Aciera, Unlogic, Cavelynx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2024 13:48 #308463 by Tinine
There is endless business to be had, retrofitting CNC tube benders and there are some very sophisticated ones. BLM, like other manufacturers, don't want to support older machines because they want people to buy new.
The "recapture" feature that you demonstrate is only one of many, many tricks that a CNC bender needs to be able to do.

These machines are my design/manufacture:
110mm Diameter...but two at the same time.  This was the engine cradle for the Chrysler 300M. Bending axis is 100HP closed-loop Vector Drive
150mm with autoload  Note: Every movement is a servo axis and coordinated
76mm 100% electric  I was the pioneer of 100% electric and I was awarded the patent. Now BLM and everyone else makes all-electric benders 
21 axis  Fuel-injector lines for Ford and Siemens. The 8 rotating axes on the turret are WiFi controlled (continuous rotating turret.

I am now developing a self-install retrofit package which will be very low-cost....too many dead machines out there that are in fantastic mechanical condition.

Craig
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds