Getting started with Linux, LinuxCNC and CNC

More
16 Jul 2016 21:56 - 16 Jul 2016 21:59 #77558 by sharpshooterser
I did read that among other stuff, but it doesnt say how to do it :) (there is some explanation, but I cant understand it correctly)
thats the problem

Will setting up the tools in tool table with specs of cutter position and radius of the tip do the trick? With calling out the right tool and a right G command?
Last edit: 16 Jul 2016 21:59 by sharpshooterser.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2016 22:09 #77559 by BigJohnT
You mention you only have 4 tools, do you have a tool turret or do you manually change the tools? If manual change are the set ups repeatable?

JT

More
16 Jul 2016 22:10 #77560 by sharpshooterser
I change them manually, and its an original Emco tool holder with grounded surfaces. Its repeatable from what I know and can tell.

More
16 Jul 2016 22:37 #77561 by BigJohnT
In that case I'd set up the tool table for your tools. Note that the tool tip radius needs to be doubled in the tool table.

JT

More
17 Jul 2016 07:37 - 17 Jul 2016 07:59 #77566 by sharpshooterser
Thanks for the tip on tool radius.
Is that tool position stuff relative, and when adding angles, the way they appear on screen as animation, is it also important for proper tool setup?
And I still have no clue on how to set a left hand turning tool in touch off (x seems easy but how do you set z, cutting edge is oposite to touch off surface).

Also, it looks like that the postprocessor I am using isnt suitable for emc2. Thats why I get those wrong dimensions... There are sevearal posts here on that matter, but I didnt find one that has cutter compensation efective (in explanation)
Last edit: 17 Jul 2016 07:59 by sharpshooterser.

More
17 Jul 2016 08:52 #77568 by andypugh

Is that tool position stuff relative, and when adding angles, the way they appear on screen as animation, is it also important for proper tool setup?

No. It could be used in the future to detect gouging (for example) but I know of no plans to do so.

And I still have no clue on how to set a left hand turning tool in touch off (x seems easy but how do you set z, cutting edge is oposite to touch off surface).

You would "touch off" the cutting surface. Probably by measuring where a left-hand faced surface ended up.

Also, it looks like that the postprocessor I am using isnt suitable for emc2. Thats why I get those wrong dimensions... There are sevearal posts here on that matter, but I didnt find one that has cutter compensation efective (in explanation)

I have very rarely used it. It has no effect on normal turning and facing operations, and I have almost never been _that_ worried about a radiused surface being exactly correct.
It is likely that your post-procesor would do tool compensation in the postprocessor rather than in the interpreter anyway. does the CAM system ask for details about tool radius?
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharpshooterser

More
17 Jul 2016 20:14 #77578 by sharpshooterser
measuring where a left-hand faced surface ended up - this is something I did think also. This might be the best course of action.

I am not so worried about surface being correct, but to keep the dimesnions needed correct. Plus to this, I ve found today that while making a forward movement on x, I loose 0.2 mm per movement. When it goes back, it lands where its supposed to be. When I loose the gib screws, that amount reduces. Any idea how to deal with this (and not have a chatter and slide "chewing" problem).

CAM system does ask for details about tool radius, tool shape etc. So if a cam is writing down the compensation in the g code, I shouldnt be worried about it in trying to set that up in tool table (assigning a right radius of the tool in there)

More
17 Jul 2016 20:25 #77580 by sharpshooterser
And also, any idea can I hook up the existing interrupter to the BOB (instructions for the bob included, and also a electrical shematic for emco compact 5 - the X5 light barrier plug)
Attachments:

More
19 Jul 2016 14:31 #77648 by andypugh

And also, any idea can I hook up the existing interrupter to the BOB

I would use the Z and A limits, probably. And connect the X limit to X limit and Z limit to Y limit. Because it's all just uncommitted IO pins really.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharpshooterser

More
19 Jul 2016 15:21 - 20 Jul 2016 06:03 #77654 by sharpshooterser
Hm, I would connect 5v and gnd to designated places. I still have a sync and count cables. so a sync and count goes to some of the unused input pins, and there are plenty, I just have to configure them properly, right? Using pin number and gnd would be clearer for me to understand completely.
And after the stepconf setup, I ll just have to modify the hal as per
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/examples/spindle.html
?
Thanks!
Last edit: 20 Jul 2016 06:03 by sharpshooterser.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds