Installing Linuxcnc on Debian Bookworm

More
19 Jun 2023 08:23 #273827 by rodw
Debian Bookworm is now officially released! Linuxcnc is now available in the Bookworm Repositories.

Here is a nice video of how to install Debian Bookworm I found over the weekend.

Grab the net install .ISO he mentions from  cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd....0-amd64-netinst.iso
This is the one I recommend to use.

When asked to choose a  graphical environment (eg. a desktop), I recommend you choose XFCE as you could experience issues with other desktops. If you are not using XFCE, do not ask for support on this thread!

Once Bookworm is installed, follow the Linuxcnc Getting Linuxcnc document for V 2.9 here
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html

Mods might like to Sticky this and review other sticky threads in this section. as some can be depreciated.

The following user(s) said Thank You: beefy, ChironFZ16, am-i-go, cornholio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2023 04:09 #276598 by rodw
Pleas now use the Debian 12.1 release instead of the 12.0 releas in the first link
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd....0-amd64-netinst.iso
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChironFZ16, DanRoscigno, cornholio

More
19 Aug 2023 03:55 #278437 by beefy
I did the Bookworm install as per the 2.9 docs, and it went real smooth. Have done it several times to be honest.

The internet connection is automatic during the install.

The problem comes when I use the internet ethernet connection to connect to the Mesa card instead, and thus I lose my internet connection.
I use the instructions in this thread to set up the connection to the Mesa card and all goes well there.

So now I need my internet connection back for updates, etc, and I am completely stumped on how to do this.
I have a USB to Ethernet adapter which I know works well, but have no idea how to set it up to get an internet connection.

More
19 Aug 2023 08:48 #278446 by rodw
Good feedback. If you plug your wifi dongle in with a bit of luck it should appear at the top right so just connect it and it should sort out the rest.

More
19 Aug 2023 10:24 - 19 Aug 2023 10:25 #278452 by beefy
It seemed to recognise the device and connect to it but the funny thing is it came up with a 2nd "Wired Connection 1".

Opened a browser but could not get any internet connection.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2023 10:25 by beefy.

More
20 Aug 2023 00:36 #278509 by beefy
Hey Rod,

good news.

I spent a load of time last night Googling for solutions, and found "apt-offline" as a potential workaround if it worked.

Turn on the plasma PC this morning to do that, and what do you know, as soon as I turn the PC on I have an internet connection.
So it seems the answer is to simply reboot with the USB-ethernet adapter in the PC and it automatically configures it.
Yesterday though there's no way it would connect by plugging in the USB-ethernet connector into the already running PC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
14 Sep 2023 00:19 #280685 by nwallace
@rodw

Noticed that the download of the 6.3 rt kernel is no longer working from google drive. No matter what day, ip, device, browser or OS I try from I just get a timeout error when downloading the linux-image file. Luckily I had the file already on another device. I noticed this about a week ago and just tried again with the same errors.

More
14 Sep 2023 09:27 #280720 by rodw
I have not changed it. Try this drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NzQIHnf9...chOOxaER?usp=sharing
Also there is the ISO image in the stickies in this section...

More
14 Sep 2023 17:00 #280761 by nwallace
I could use the image but I figured you should know about any issues since this is linked in the official documentation of how to install LinuxCNC. Attached is what I get when I try to download that file from 2 different machines in Chrome and Firefox as well as from 3 different public IP's.
Attachments:

More
14 Sep 2023 20:47 - 14 Sep 2023 20:48 #280779 by rodw
I suspect there are other factors at play with your connection to Google Drive.
IN the same folder, another document lists the commands to build it from scratch.
The 6.4 commands are untested.

​​​​​​​
apt update 
sudo apt install -y build-essential bin86 libncurses5-dev pkg-config libssl-dev dwarves bison flex gnupg libelf-dev libssl-dev wget qtbase5-dev debhelper rsync git
mkdir rtlinux 
cd rtlinux 

git clone -b v6.3 --depth 1 https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git linux-6.3
wget https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/6.3/patch-6.3-rt11.patch.gz
tar xvf linux-6.3.tar.xz
gunzip patch-6.3-rt11.patch.gz 
cp patch-6.3-rt11.patch linux-6.3 
cd linux-6.3
cat patch-6.3-rt11.patch | patch -p1 
git add *
make xconfig 
#Set the following: General Settings/Preemption model = Fully Preemptible Kernel
#Save then exit (Click on General settings and select option on the right side.

# These keys override security and key settings to allow .debs to be built
scripts/config --disable SYSTEM_REVOCATION_KEYS 
scripts/config --disable DEBUG_INFO 
scripts/config --enable DEBUG_INFO_NONE 
scripts/config --set-str SYSTEM_TRUSTED_KEYS "" 
make -j4  deb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-linuxcnc

Last edit: 14 Sep 2023 20:48 by rodw.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds