Installing Linuxcnc on Debian Bookworm

More
18 Sep 2023 08:39 #281052 by aussietom
Thank you Rod :)

Will take a look at it now.

Linux is sooo different to windows, first time ever using it. Would like TCP option down the track.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2023 14:49 #281085 by tommylight
@Rod,
there is still the line for RPI, it does not belong there.
Should be at the end of that section, in red or orange or blue or....
How many times have i asked users here "why are you trying to install ARM kernel on X64 machine" ?
-
Netinstall is not for newcomers to Linux.

More
18 Sep 2023 15:07 #281088 by Aciera

there is still the line for RPI, it does not belong there.

I agree. It's a great write up (a big thank you for that) but I think separating the instructions for PC and RPi users might be a really good idea.  
The Problem is that new users are often simply overwhelmed by just using the terminal so they tend to just copy / paste one line after another.
Which is also why complete ISO images are so great for new users btw.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S, rodw

More
18 Sep 2023 21:16 #281107 by rodw
If you want to be overwhelmed, look at the equivalent 2.8 docs
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/getting-st...etting-linuxcnc.html
What a bloody mess!

The doc was very difficult to put together and several had input not to mention feedback from the developers in the pull request.
It takes the view that you already have debian installed and the devs wanted to see it nice and simple in a few lines which it is.
There is not really any difference between a pi and x86 machine  when it comes to installing linuxcnc on Debian 12
There was a process you could have been involved in at the outset. The opportunity has passed.
If you are not happy with them, send a pull request but don't duplicate content.

And yes,  that is why I have been working on seprate installers for X86/AMD64 and the Pi (To simplify the process further.)
I was sick of so many broken instructions, images and the like and wanted to put linuxcnc in a position it could release something
The Pi installer now deviates by using the official Raspberry kernel over which Debian 12 is added, then linuxcnc is built from source.
The Pi uses master branch as it includes a newer GPIO driver.
BOth of them have been  hard work and its very time consuming work.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds