Installing Linuxcnc on Debian Bookworm

More
15 Sep 2023 05:32 #280805 by cornholio
Headers & doc download ok, Kernel is a no go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2023 11:00 #280826 by rodw

It downloads for me but there is quite a pause while Google virus checks it then it displays a warning that it could be dangerous.
We are talking Google drive here and all files in the folder have the same permissions so take it up with them. A lot of people have downloaded it and it has not changed for months... Its possible you may have some security settings at your end preventing the download.

More
15 Sep 2023 11:27 #280831 by cornholio
And they would be ?
What security settings am I looking at that will allow me to download one deb file but not the other ?
TBH I wasn't really interested in the kernel I was just seeing if I could reproduce the issue the user before was having.

Meh

More
16 Sep 2023 01:24 #280898 by rodw

And they would be ?
What security settings am I looking at that will allow me to download one deb file but not the other ?
TBH I wasn't really interested in the kernel I was just seeing if I could reproduce the issue the user before was having.

Meh

I have no idea. But I do know that in some parts of the world Google is blacklisted. I had to use a VPN to access my Gmail and Google Drive when in Shanghai due to this. An ISP might also terminate long downloads..

More
16 Sep 2023 12:52 #280921 by tommylight

An ISP might also terminate long downloads..

[/quote]
They do that, still. And some will blacklist sites with heavy traffic.
15 years ago, one of local ISP's would block sites with video content in 2 to 3 days i found it and used it. 2 years later they called me to work for them as a manager, i mentioned exactly that as the reason for not working for them. Those were not normally used websites.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
16 Sep 2023 13:09 #280924 by rodw
And here where a country blocks content
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/49606...xcnc?start=10#280915

IT is doing my head in this week. Finally got a CUPS server deployed on a VPS today (still have to sort out the ssl) but the app that runs on a Windows server domain controller has eluded me because there is a port conflict and I can't find out how to override the default yet, Support is not in a hurry. Probably be Monday.

One thing I will give windows is that using a rdp connection is a lot nicer than using ssh to a command prompt!

More
16 Sep 2023 13:15 #280925 by JohnnyCNC

It downloads for me but there is quite a pause while Google virus checks it then it displays a warning that it could be dangerous.
We are talking Google drive here and all files in the folder have the same permissions so take it up with them. A lot of people have downloaded it and it has not changed for months... Its possible you may have some security settings at your end preventing the download.

I just downloaded all three.  The image took a few tries and clicking on different download buttons but it did eventually download.  The headers and instructions came right down with no fuss.

More
16 Sep 2023 13:33 #280927 by tommylight
Off topic:

IT is doing my head in this week.

Same here, still fuzzy from installing DOS, Win95, Win98SE, all kinds of Linuxes (over 30 distros) on old laptops! Just removing and re-plugging HDD connectors over 500 times was enough! :(

Finally got a CUPS server deployed on a VPS today

You mentioned this before, i wonder why, but then i recall you also mentioning you did a lot of printing so never asked.

One thing I will give windows is that using a rdp connection is a lot nicer than using ssh to a command prompt!

Never ever liked RDP, total use time if i stretch it, 10 minutes.
I use terminal on all my PC's daily, like several times per day on each PC, it is open when the PC boots, on all!
Open a terminal and type
neofetch
It is not in Debian 12, so sudo apt install neofetch
Shows info and nice ASCII art.

More
16 Sep 2023 13:42 #280928 by tommylight
Need sleep, forgot
-Yesterday installed Debian 12 BookWorm with Mate DE on 4 PC's,
install>reboot>update>upgrade>install LinuxCNC
Failed twice, once i forgot why, once it corrupted the repository cache!!!
So in total 6 times, fresh.
I thought the repository messing up was the thing of the past, apparently the ghost of it still lives deep inside Debian.
Last 2 months, roughly 25 times, no issues, except above.
I also recorded the whole process, but lacking sleep, i set the bitrate to 55000 for 1920x1200, it warned me the encoder is overloaded but i missed it since OBS was minimized, so rinse and repeat whenever i get a chance.

More
16 Sep 2023 23:23 #280959 by rodw

Off topic:
You mentioned this before, i wonder why, but then i recall you also mentioning you did a lot of printing so never asked.

Yeh, You might be sorry you asked. its complicated but it works. Direct printing from an external Linux hosted ERP system to printers inside the user's firewall breaks all of the HTTP browser firewalling rules that prevents access to internal resources. So we use a commercial print solution that runs on a windows print server. This recent case study on my solution is written up here www.thinprint.com/en/resource/vmn-ecommerce-printing/
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds