Spindle control problem

More
28 May 2011 15:19 #10132 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Spindle control problem
If the "TTL" represents the parallel port output, this circuit will probably not turn all the way off as it should if the parallel port output just swings to 3.3V. A quick fix would be to add another 270 Ohm resistor across the OPTOs LED or add a red LED in series with the 5V

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2011 15:57 #10133 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Spindle control problem
That connection from "TTL" to +5V looks wrong to me.

More
28 May 2011 18:15 #10135 by flintmill
I have had the box out and measured actual voltages on the input to the Triac isolator/driver with both computers now.

The +5v which comes from the power pack that feeds the Xylotex is according to my 'digital' meter actually only 4.4 volts. I may need a larger smoothing capacitor as its fed from a 5v regulator which has +12 going in and plenty of amps so should be 5 but this may be my cheap 'highly accurate' digital meter.

Anyway from the old computer (which switches the motor OK) the figures are 0.41 volts and 3.7 volts As the resistor limiting the LED current is actually 267 ohms I make that a current of 2.5 ma

The new computer outputs are 0.31volts and 3.05 volts which I make about 5ma which happens to be the switch on current.:P

I increase the resistor to 470 ohms the current should be about 2.5ma which should solve it

I like the idea of putting a LED in series . Many thanks to all who helped.

More
28 May 2011 18:22 #10136 by cncbasher
look at the opto isolator spec and see what the max current is , i would guess a resistor in series with the opto of around 330R to 470R with 5v supply should be fine
so your along the right lines as the opto is not fully switching off , and of course only 4.4v as you say is not helping .

More
28 May 2011 18:39 #10137 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Spindle control problem
The problem is that an output of 3.05 V will not fully turn off the OPTO (4.4-3.05 = 1.35V, still enough to turn on the OPTOs ~ 1V drop LED) . A larger series resistor is not the right solution as the OPTOs LED will still be slightly on regardless of the resistor value. Dropping your 5V with a series red LED or even a silicon diode will fix this. OPTO couplers are notoriously inaccurate current sensors, often having 3 to 1 or even 5 to 1 ranges of turn on currents, much better to make sure the OPTOs LED is off (<1v) so you truly have 0 input current when its supposed to be off...

More
28 May 2011 19:09 #10138 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Spindle control problem
I suppose a 2V Zener would be ideal, but a red LED gives you feedback too.

More
29 May 2011 20:17 #10159 by flintmill
Red LED fitted and first EMC metal cut. Really smooth and drives faster than Turbocnc under DOS. Really pleased. Now on Linux machine I need to find a gcode generator.
Many thanks to all who helped :P

John

More
29 May 2011 20:34 #10161 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Spindle control problem
The wiki site has many g code generators for various things. For routine work I use ngcgui.

John

More
30 May 2011 13:55 - 30 May 2011 14:04 #10185 by flintmill
John I have downloaded the zip file for ngcui and put it in a dir under emc2.
I found instructions to merge it with EMC2 but want to try it alone first.
The files I have are
ngcgui
ngcgui_app
ngcgui_ttt
tkapp

A simple question how do I run it on its own?
Last edit: 30 May 2011 14:04 by flintmill. Reason: spelling

More
30 May 2011 19:44 #10192 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Spindle control problem
There is information in the README file on usage of ngcgui.

www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...d,3408/lang,english/

John

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds