stepper config / paralell port gecko 203v

More
27 Oct 2009 15:27 #1047 by drstein99
I retrofitted my Bridgeport Boss cnc, fitted with geck 203v's, 24v power, 2 paralell port cards, and linux emc2 (downloaded the recent iso). it jogged all three axis good at first for like 20 minutes I was playing. now every now and then, one axis will get stuck and NOT reverse. or another axis wont step. I reboot the machine, power every thing down turn back on and it might work or not work.

I used stepper config wizard, selected gecko 203v. Other then the wiring, I cant imagine anything else going wrong here except a config setting or timing issue maybe. I know in mach-3 I can set the ms debounce on the direction pin, which sometimes effects the steppers, but that seemed to be covered when I selected "203v" in the stepper config wizard.

Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2009 23:32 #1048 by BigJohnT
Did you run the latency test for an extended period of time like overnight? Do you ever get an error about latency?

I'm running 203v's on my plasma. I used to use the parallel port but for other reasons now I use a Mesa 5i20. The default settings should be correct.

It sounds like your acceleration is too high... reduce that and run this test.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//common_St...iagnostics.html#r1_3

John

More
28 Oct 2009 02:13 #1054 by drstein99
I did not run it overnight., I will try these debugging procedures - thank you. I checked my wiring using a logic probe, and the signals are signaling (though I cant check steps, I just check direction pins). I used very thin gauge wires, and they kind of jump around inside the cabinet. After I rigged up new wires, it appears to work - though I couldn't rigorously test like I did the other day.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds