Problem sharing Home and Limit switches

More
06 Jan 2010 00:39 #1452 by shawnperkins
Hi Folks,

I just installed EMC due to the problems I was having with MACH3, and everything is setup and running. I'm just having one problem. When I h

File Attachment:

File Name: hal_ini.txt
File Size:6 KB
ome the machine, EMC thinks that the limit switch has been activated and stops the machine. I was under the impression that if you were you using the same switch for both functions, EMC would know it was performing the homing routine and not shut the machine off. Any ideas on this? I've attached my config files for review.

Setup:
Probotix 3 axis CNC
Gecko G540 controller
Two switches on each axis that share home and limit functions. Each axis is connected to a differant input on the G540.
Software version: 2.3.0

File Attachment:

File Name: hal_ini.txt
File Size:6 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2010 00:50 #1453 by BigJohnT
You should upgrade to 2.3.4 as there were some home related issues with the 2.3.0 as I recall.

More
06 Jan 2010 02:19 #1455 by shawnperkins
Thanks for the quick reply! I upgraded to 2.3.4 and still have the same problem. It tries to zero the Z axis first, then the following error is displayed:

Joint 2 on limit switch error

Then the system goes in to a fault condition, never trying to home the other two axis.

Any other ideas? I have HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS set to yes on all axis.

Thanks,
Shawn

More
06 Jan 2010 03:39 #1456 by shawnperkins
I figured it out.

I changed the switches to home only, no stop function. I then noticed that EMC was homing the axis, but leaving the switch closed. I then entered a .1 in the 'Home Switch Location' field, for each axis. Now it backs away leaving the switch open. I then assigned homing and limit functionality to the switches. Low and behold, it's working purrrrfect!

Thanks for the help John.....and have a Happy New Year.

More
06 Jan 2010 13:11 #1457 by BigJohnT
Glad you got it going.

John

More
14 Mar 2013 20:26 #31406 by susam
Hi,

I wanted some advice on home and limit switches. As I am new to LinuxCNC, I am looking for some basic understanding.

I want to use 2 proximity sensors for X and Y axis. These should act as both homing switches and limit switches. And when I launch a particular config and release the stop button, the CNC mill should home automatically.

Is this possible? How do I go about achieving this? Please advice me on setting up the sensors from scratch....as I have very little idea about this.

Thanks!

More
15 Mar 2013 21:14 #31448 by andypugh

I want to use 2 proximity sensors for X and Y axis. These should act as both homing switches and limit switches. And when I launch a particular config and release the stop button, the CNC mill should home automatically

I am not sure that homing automatically on power-on is a great idea. You might want to jog to a safe position before homing if there is work mounted, or a tool in the spindle.

The configuration wizards know how to set up a switch to be both home and limit. That is generally the easy way.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds