Closed loop servos with EMC2.

More
21 Nov 2011 22:59 #15001 by DroopG96
There are so many options available for servo controlled closed loop machine. What is the best hardware tu use with EMC2? I have heard a lot obout the I/O capabilities of MESA boards but still am unclear or the other needs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2011 23:07 #15003 by BigJohnT
Your hardware requirements depend more on your machine than EMC.

Do you have a machine now or are you just gathering hypothetical information?

John

More
21 Nov 2011 23:19 #15005 by DroopG96
Thanks for the post. I am stuck between a LMS x2, or x3, with a kit from cnc fusion. The ballscrews are not the most accurate, as long as the ways are square I should be fine adjusting them. Because of the machines I use at work I am spoiled to a degree, I can handle about .001" in axis runout, but not the positioning error of a steeper based system.

More
21 Nov 2011 23:46 #15006 by BigJohnT
A properly sized and built stepper system does not have any positioning error. Steppers are usually spot on or stalled and if you stall them out you have not properly configured and or sized your system.

It does sound like your machine choices are the limiting factor not the drive system. Is the X2/3 a manual mill you plan on converting to CNC? This kit from cnc fusion is it ball screws and servos with encoder feedback? If this is a cheap Chinese mill don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed much.

Do you have any links to the hardware?

John

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds