Bridgeport update

More
03 Dec 2011 16:27 - 04 Dec 2011 19:59 #15328 by RayJr
Bridgeport update was created by RayJr
I am updating a Bridgeport that has a 1970's era Bandit controller to a EMC controller.
The original setup has a control box on the front of the head with E-stop (big red button), Slide Hold (latching pushbutton), and a spindle start/stop switch (toggle, momentary two pos)

E-stop I have taken care of.
I think I have the right pin for the slide hold. I will try to use the motion.feed-hold.

I wanted to get a little more creative with the spindle control. In the original setup, the toggle would latch or release the m03 relay (start fwd, stop). In EMC, I am hoping to give that toggle a bit more intelligence. I want to provide logic to sense what mode the spindle is currently in. If it is running, any move of the toggle will stop it. If stopped and you press the switch down, the spindle will start CCW or if you press up it will start CW. In addition to that, I want to add logic to sense if a program is running, and prevent the operator from stopping the spindle. As a luxury, I would like to be able to pause a program and stop the spindle, then force a start before resuming the program.

Now to my question.
Would it be better to use the logic elements in HAL for this or Classic Ladder?

This mill is used by a high school robotics team with very little training, so I want flexibility, with some fail-safe.

Ray

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

Albert Einstein
Last edit: 04 Dec 2011 19:59 by RayJr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2011 00:29 #15342 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Bridgeport update
RayJr wrote:

Would it be better to use the logic elements in HAL for this or Classic Ladder?

I would say HAL for that.

More
04 Dec 2011 00:54 - 04 Dec 2011 01:08 #15349 by RayJr
Replied by RayJr on topic Re:Bridgeport update
Thank you. I'll give it a go.

I am looking for the pins to control the spindle cw/ccw via external input, and not finding them.

I am looking at the HAL configuration window. A clue please!

EDIT: Is it HALUI.SPINDLE.FORWARD & reverse?

Ray

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

Albert Einstein
Last edit: 04 Dec 2011 01:08 by RayJr.

More
04 Dec 2011 12:22 #15358 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Bridgeport update
RayJr wrote:

Is it halui.spindle.forward & reverse?

I think so, that is what www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gui_halui.html#r1_2_17 says.

Those bits emulate the function of the on-screen buttons for the spindle, and provide a way to run the spindle independent of the G-code.

(This can be very useful on a lathe for drilling the centre hole, and I would imagine invaluable on a mill for quick drilling jobs)

Time to create page: 1.069 seconds