Working out a tool changer method for mill

More
17 May 2012 15:09 #20179 by andypugh
garymcrobertpdx wrote:

I see two Linux wizards one familiar the other is new to me which is the best to use?

Maybe neither.
Stepconf creates parallel port stepper configs, pncconf creates Mesa-card configurations.
Neither of them automatically create a remapped toolchange configuration.

Unless I am mistaken, you had a working configuration previously? The first thing to do is check that that still works.
Then start the sim/remap/rack_toolchange config, and see if that looks like it works (it won't move a machine, it's a simulator). Make sure that you select the option to make a copy of that config in your home/linuxcnc/configs directory.

Now make a copy of your existing, working config by copying the directory and changing the name.

Then copy the extra files from the toolchange example into your config.

Then look through the INI and HAL files of the sample config, and copy anything "toolchange-ey" or GladeVCP-ish or Pythonesque into your INI and HAL files.

You will need to edit the toolchange ngc files to make the correct moves for your rack location and spacing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2012 03:14 #20191 by garymcrobertpdx
Renamed the EMC2 folder to linuxcnc but my old configuration will not launch nothing happens at all

Tried using the wizard to make a new test configuration all went as usual but when I launch the test
I see a 2.5 splash then axis appears for a second then it crashes and I get the errors box.

Print file information:
RUN_IN_PLACE=no
LINUXCNC_DIR=
LINUXCNC_BIN_DIR=/usr/bin
LINUXCNC_TCL_DIR=/usr/lib/tcltk/linuxcnc
LINUXCNC_SCRIPT_DIR=
LINUXCNC_RTLIB_DIR=/usr/realtime-2.6.24-16-rtai/modules/linuxcnc
LINUXCNC_CONFIG_DIR=
LINUXCNC_LANG_DIR=/usr/share/linuxcnc/tcl/msgs
INIVAR=inivar
HALCMD=halcmd
LINUXCNC_EMCSH=/usr/bin/wish8.4
LINUXCNC - 2.5.0
Machine configuration directory is '/home/me/linuxcnc/configs/my-mill'
Machine configuration file is 'my-mill.ini'
INIFILE=/home/me/linuxcnc/configs/my-mill/my-mill.ini
PARAMETER_FILE=linuxcnc.var
TASK=milltask
HALUI=halui
DISPLAY=axis
Starting LinuxCNC...
Starting LinuxCNC server program: linuxcncsvr
Loading Real Time OS, RTAPI, and HAL_LIB modules
Starting LinuxCNC IO program: io
Starting HAL User Interface program: halui
Starting TASK program: milltask
Starting DISPLAY program: axis
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
Killing task linuxcncsvr, PID=7995
Killing task milltask, PID=8134
Removing HAL_LIB, RTAPI, and Real Time OS modules
Removing NML shared memory segments
Cleanup done

Debug file information:
Can not find -sec MOT -var MOT -num 1
Can not find -sec IO -var IO -num 1
Can not find -sec LINUXCNC -var NML_FILE -num 1
Can not find -sec EMC -var NML_FILE -num 1
custom_postgui.hal:20: signal 'spindle-at-speed' not found
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components

Kernel message information:
[ 1428.400567] I-pipe: Domain RTAI registered.
[ 1428.400577] RTAI[hal]: <3.6.1> mounted over IPIPE-NOTHREADS 2.0-04.
[ 1428.400580] RTAI[hal]: compiled with gcc version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3).
[ 1428.400586] RTAI[hal]: mounted (IPIPE-NOTHREADS, IMMEDIATE (INTERNAL IRQs DISPATCHED), ISOL_CPUS_MASK: 0).
[ 1428.400588] PIPELINE layers:
[ 1428.400591] f8c3a000 9ac15d93 RTAI 200
[ 1428.400593] c0383180 0 Linux 100
[ 1428.413278] RTAI[malloc]: global heap size = 2097152 bytes, <BSD>.
[ 1428.413643] RTAI[sched]: loaded (IMMEDIATE, UP, USER/KERNEL SPACE: <with RTAI OWN KTASKs>, kstacks pool size = 524288 bytes.
[ 1428.413649] RTAI[sched]: hard timer type/freq = 8254-PIT/1193180(Hz); default timing: periodic; linear timed lists.
[ 1428.413653] RTAI[sched]: Linux timer freq = 250 (Hz), CPU freq = 2793166000 hz.
[ 1428.413656] RTAI[sched]: timer setup = 2010 ns, resched latency = 2688 ns.
[ 1428.485505] RTAI[math]: loaded.
[ 1428.573960] config string '0xdca0 out 0xdcb8 out 0x378 in'
[ 1432.238163] RTAI[math]: unloaded.
[ 1432.293213] SCHED releases registered named ALIEN RTGLBH
[ 1432.308962] RTAI[malloc]: unloaded.
[ 1432.408498] RTAI[sched]: unloaded (forced hard/soft/hard transitions: traps 0, syscalls 0).
[ 1432.410088] I-pipe: Domain RTAI unregistered.
[ 1432.410095] RTAI[hal]: unmounted.

More
18 May 2012 09:37 #20199 by andypugh
garymcrobertpdx wrote:

Renamed the EMC2 folder to linuxcnc but my old configuration will not launch nothing happens at all

Is the existing config available as an option in the configuration selector?
I think that the problem with that configuration might be that the INI file refers to HAL files in the emc2 directory, which has been renamed.
This is causing a lot of problems, but big expensive scary lawyers left us with no options.
Have a look through the original INI file looking for file paths with emc2 in them, and try changing them.

I see a 2.5 splash then axis appears for a second

So it looks like you are on 2.5, not "master" which comes up as a 2.6 version,

[/quote]custom_postgui.hal:20: signal 'spindle-at-speed' not found[/quote]This is why the configuration is not loading, there is a custom_postgui HAL file in the config which refers to a signal which has not been created in the main HAL file.

I think getting your old config working is likely to be the best solution.

More
19 May 2012 16:18 #20226 by garymcrobertpdx
Perhaps I should start over reinstall 2.4 from the live disk then upgrade from there
then use the 2.6 wizard to create a basic configuration then cut and paste the
customized parts of my old configuration file back into it.

More
19 May 2012 18:41 #20228 by andypugh
garymcrobertpdx wrote:

Perhaps I should start over reinstall 2.4 from the live disk then upgrade from there
then use the 2.6 wizard to create a basic configuration then cut and paste the
customized parts of my old configuration file back into it.

I don't see any reason to go back to 2.4. A brand-new LiveCD install of 2.5 might make some sense though. (backup all your existing configs though).

Then a buildbot update to 2.6 (deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid master-rt deb-src buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid master-rt )
Which version of Ubuntu are you running? You need the correct deb entry from the buildbot. You can run "master" on Hardy or Lucid, but need to choose the correct package.

More
20 May 2012 15:46 #20236 by garymcrobertpdx
Yes this how I would like to proceed but there are two problems #1 in the past Linux 10 had terrible
latency performance on the Dell computers I have while Linux 8 work fine. #2 just to see if anything
had changed I downloaded a new Linux 10 with 2.5 and made the live CD checked the CRC OK
but the install process hangs and nothing happens.

So for the moment I will proceed with a second attempt at the long form upgrade process.

More
20 May 2012 22:40 #20237 by garymcrobertpdx
OK I think I have finally succeeded in upgrading to 2.6 I used the wizard to create a test configuration which works
when I launch it. Now I need to ether modify my old 2.3 configuration or just cut and paste the custom parts of
my old config into a new one created by the 2.6 wizard. Not sure which is the easiest method. Then I can tackle
remapping the M6 G code .

More
26 May 2012 03:55 - 26 May 2012 03:56 #20410 by garymcrobertpdx
OK I have picked through the remapping doc and had a go at making it work
but no luck on the first try. I think there is some missing components.

The doc refers to a directory that I can not locate configs/sim/remap/python-stdglue/remap.py
and I get the error list which for some reason I can not copy and paste??

So I have to transcribe a line from the Debug file
Python plug in required for prolog=, but not available: 35 REMAP = M6 modalgroup=6 prolog=change_prolog ngc=change epilog=change_epilog

Also where do I place the file change.ncg ?

Thanks
Last edit: 26 May 2012 03:56 by garymcrobertpdx.

More
26 May 2012 11:08 #20414 by andypugh
garymcrobertpdx wrote:

OK I have picked through the remapping doc and had a go at making it work
but no luck on the first try. I think there is some missing components.

I think that the problem is that the LinuxCNC startup script insists on copying the files to your home folder, but doesn't bring them all.

If you open a terminal and type
linuxcnc /usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs/sim/remap/rack-toolchange/racktoolchange.ini
then you should get it to launch properly. You can then go to the MDI window and type M6T3 and watch it do a tool change.
So, it works. However you need to find all the files, they seem to be in a combination of usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs/sim/remap (support files) and /usr/share/linuxcnc/ncfiles/remap-subroutines for the ngc files.

Looking in racktoolchange.hal, it calls three HAL files, only one of which you need to duplicate / include in your HAL.
The [PYTHON] PATH_PREPEND and PATH_APPEND in the INI file will need to be modified to point to your actual routines.

I think it is mainly a case of moving all these files into your own config directory, and making all the references to them in the INI file point to the right places.

Sorry, I thought it was a lot tidier than this.

More
27 May 2012 00:04 #20433 by mhaberler
hi, I was away for a while.

I suggest to cd to /usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs/sim/remap/rack-toolchange and then run 'linuxcnc rack-toolchange.ini' to see whether this makes any difference.

I need to look into the 'selector' integration

- Michael

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds