6 axis robot project

More
08 Mar 2013 14:04 #31070 by happytriger2000
Hi all,
I think this is my very 1st post in LinuxCNC. I joined this group for only 1 reason: 6 axis Robot control. I was and still a Mach3 user, I was told EMC2 is a better controller for 6 axis robot so I'm here to gather some nfo. related to 6 axis robot.
I have a Desktop Mitsubishi Movemaster with 6 Gecko DC servo Driver, and a software that allows to output Robot language of certain Robot brands, and I'm most interested in the EMC post for this software, Does anyone have any info on EMC2 post processor or where to get it?

thx,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2013 22:05 #31093 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 6 axis robot project

Hi all,
I think this is my very 1st post in LinuxCNC. I joined this group for only 1 reason: 6 axis Robot control. I was and still a Mach3 user, I was told EMC2 is a better controller for 6 axis robot so I'm here to gather some nfo. related to 6 axis robot.
I have a Desktop Mitsubishi Movemaster with 6 Gecko DC servo Driver, and a software that allows to output Robot language of certain Robot brands, and I'm most interested in the EMC post for this software, Does anyone have any info on EMC2 post processor or where to get it?,

LinuxCNC (as we are now calling ourselves) controls robots using standard G-code.
Unlike some robot control systems you control the "tool point" in XYZABC cartesian space, and the calculation of the joint positions needed to achieve that motion is handled by a kinematics module.

If you boot the LinuxCNC LiveCD you can experiment with the "Puma" demo configs to get a feel for how it works. These have an onscreen simulation of the robot so can be run without hardware.

When you start the demo you will be in "Joint" mode and can jog each joint individually. When you switch to "world" mode (from the menu, or use the $ key) you will see that the display changes to XYZABC coordinates, and the tool-point moves in cartesian space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: happytriger2000

More
09 Mar 2013 01:51 #31106 by happytriger2000
Just minutes ago I tried Puma 560, home all axes, then run (play button), it seems the robot is moving along the tool path until the Joint 2 exceeded positive soft limit.
I will start by assembling the controller box 1st, currently I have a Pico-System USC this board supports 4 axis only so I would need another board for 2 more axis, therefore I need 2 parallel PCI card installed in the computer, correct?, from here onwards would anyone help me on the port and pins setup, it seems similar to Mach3 besides that Linuxcnc use mostly words.
I need to:
* Activate Port 1 and 2
* Port and Pins, X(2,3) port 1, y(3,4) port 1, Z(6,7) port1, A(8,9) port 1, B(2,3) port 2, C(4,5) port 2.
* Limit switches
* Spindle M03 auto on

More
09 Mar 2013 08:50 #31115 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 6 axis robot project

I will start by assembling the controller box 1st, currently I have a Pico-System USC this board supports 4 axis only so I would need another board for 2 more axis, therefore I need 2 parallel PCI card installed in the computer, correct?,

I am not sure. There may be an expansion card.
Jon (from Pico) is active on these forums, but you probably want to ask in the Driver Boards section to make sure he sees it:
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/27-driver-boards

However…

You say that the robot has DC servos, are you sure that a stepper controller can move the motors?

More
09 Mar 2013 13:34 #31121 by happytriger2000
you are right, I got the wrong board, the Universal PWM Board and Universal stepper controller are very similar.

AHrrr...

More
18 Mar 2013 05:15 #31523 by happytriger2000
Ok I checked Pico site again, USC is the board for servo drive or stepper drive using step/dir, it the right board for me.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds