Lathe with 2+2 axes + servo spindle + live tool???

More
31 May 2013 06:08 #34999 by andypugh

I'm trying to choose Mesa cards. In this machine i have 6 servo amplifiers (XY1+XY2+Caxis+LiveTool) + main spindle DC drive (+-10V). And 5 differential encoders (XY1+XY2+spindle), so looks like i must have two Mesa 7I33TA (4+4) or one 7I48 (6)?
Also i have a lot of automatics, so i need a lot of inputs and outputs (minimum two or three 7i37TA).

The awkward part is needing 7 +/-10V channels.

A single 5i20 or 5i23 can do all you need and have a connector left over.
The 7i44 + smart-serial cards will let you add pretty much as many IO lines as you could imagine needing (8 cards with 48 IO each..)
The 7i65 is worth a look, for spindle control and some analogue input (the latter is potentially useful if you have tachos on the servos).

The 5i25 + 7i77 would be very cost-effective, but only has 6 servo channels (no spindle +/-10V). It has a channel for a single smart-serial board. This could be a 7i83 to provide the spindle drive control. The 5i25 has a second connector for another DB25 board, so perhaps putting a 7i74 on that channel, then plugging in smart-serial until you have enough IO is the way to go. (you can add 384 IO lines that way).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2013 07:42 #35002 by cmorley

OK, maybe it's too many information.

There is three questions:

1. Is it possible to control two pairs of ZX axes in Linux CNC (somehow)?

Do you need XZ and UW to be move independent AND simultaneous to each other?

I believe that all axes must finish each move at the same time (since you can only set one feed rate at a time)
Not sure if this is important to you.

Chris M

More
05 Jun 2013 18:13 #35279 by andypugh

The awkward part is needing 7 +/-10V channels.

Thinking about this a little more, if you can control the spindle via modbus then you only need 6 channels and things become easier.

And modbus is likely to become a little easier with changes to the build system and Victor's mb2hal component.

More
17 Jun 2013 05:32 #35725 by machete

The 5i25 + 7i77 would be very cost-effective, but only has 6 servo channels (no spindle +/-10V). It has a channel for a single smart-serial board. This could be a 7i83 to provide the spindle drive control. The 5i25 has a second connector for another DB25 board, so perhaps putting a 7i74 on that channel, then plugging in smart-serial until you have enough IO is the way to go. (you can add 384 IO lines that way).

Thanks for advice! Looks like 5i25 is a new card from Mesa?

In description of 5i25 says:
"The 5I25 supports two breakout cards so for example .... 12 axis analog servo configuration is possible with a single 5I25 and two Mesa breakout cards."

So, can i use two 7i77 with one 5i25?
In addition to sufficient quantity of +-10V outputs, i will have 2x32=64 inputs, and 2x32 outputs.

But on my machine more than 64 inputs. I'm not sure if i want to control all of them, but if yes - may i connec to my 7i77 thru RS-422 serial I/O daughtercard like 7I64 (24 in + 24out) or 7I70 (48in)?

Is it possible to connect 7i64 to both 7i77 cards?

More
17 Jun 2013 05:47 #35726 by machete

I believe that all axes must finish each move at the same time (since you can only set one feed rate at a time)

If it will be possible to run all axes simultaneously, it will be great. If not, one pair after other is acceptable.

Looks like G0 will work in one time (X50 Z60 U30 W20)?

As i understand, the question is in feed rate - i can set only one feed for all axes in one word?

What will happend when i perform:
G0 F0.2 Z-10 W-20
what will be real movement?

And if G0 F0.2 Z-20 W-20?

P.S. And no way, then one head is making thread other can't do anything else.

More
17 Jun 2013 08:15 #35727 by andypugh

Is it possible to connect 7i64 to both 7i77 cards?

Yes, you can connect two 7i77 cards and you can then connect one of any of the smart-serial cards to each one. So, 5i25 + 2 * 7i77 + 7i64 + 7i70 is perfectly possible.

You don't even have to buy them all at the same time, and you can consider Modbus for controlling the spindle drive.

More
24 Jan 2015 03:34 #55300 by machete

OK, maybe it's too many information.

There is three questions:

1. Is it possible to control two pairs of ZX axes in Linux CNC (somehow)?

Chris M

Some time spend, and my Gildemeister lathe now runs one pair of XZ of axes and spindle.

Please help me to correctly setup second pair of XZ axes:

Which lines in .ini file i have to change to get ability to use U-word for the axis.6.motor-pos-cmd and the W-word for axis.8.motor-pos-cmd?

And where to connect U,W-home and limit switches?

More
26 Jan 2015 00:59 #55330 by andypugh

Which lines in .ini file i have to change to get ability to use U-word for the axis.6.motor-pos-cmd and the W-word for axis.8.motor-pos-cmd?

Change [TRAJ] COORDINATES to XZUV and [TRAJ] AXES to 8

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_config.html

You would connect the V-axis limits to axis.7.pos-lim-sw-in etc (those pins won't exist until you have 8 axes defined in the INI)

Time to create page: 0.407 seconds