Mixed Servo and Stepper system

More
11 Jun 2013 03:51 #35504 by mariusl
Hi All,
Is there any reason why I could not have a mixed stepper / servo system? I may have to add a stepper driven axis to a servo driven 5 axis machine.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2013 13:54 #35519 by cncbasher
no reason at all , many people do just that for situations such as adding a rotary table .

which axis are you looking at adding , perhaps details of your problem , may throw some questions

More
11 Jun 2013 14:08 #35521 by mariusl
I have a machine that has the x axis as the material. Meaning that we pull the material up and down with rollers. The material could be 13m long beams that could weigh more than a ton each. We discovered that the movement is not always predictable due to variances in the material. The PID tuning also keeps changing with every job as the the material could vary from 20kg to a ton or more. Not a good situation to try and do good PID control. The solution is to add a trolley to the x axis that will be driven by a stepper on a rack and pinion and that will now move the material through the machine under control.
I am looking at a 30nm stepper possibly.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
11 Jun 2013 14:36 #35522 by cncbasher
yea you should be ok to go , although i'd perhaps look at using 2 steppers one each side ( without knowing or seeing the offending machine of course )

Dave

More
11 Jun 2013 15:21 #35523 by mariusl
Thanks for the advise Dave. The nature of the machine is such that we cannot get into the area where the operations happen. That is about 2m wide cage that contains the z axis head (600kg worth) and the Y axis. There are two roller conveyors of 14m each on both sides. The closer rollers are powered and I use them to bring the material into range. That will change now. The trolley will have an arm to push the material into the machine. We will most likely use an electro-magnet to hold or connect to the material

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
11 Jun 2013 20:05 #35530 by cncbasher
yes i'd agree .. i'd use magnets

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds