Spindle Speed Limiting

More
24 Jul 2013 22:55 #36992 by Todd Zuercher
I am using modbus to control my spindle(s) and my concern is that the drives do not accept spindle speed commands over a certain rpm (18000). If a speed over the drives limit is commanded the drive just ignores it. I can see this potentially being a problem if the drives speed were set to 0 then a speed over the max is commanded. In this event the drive does not go to max speed, instead ignoring the new command it remains at 0. Is there a way to limit the speed commanded so that if someone (or something) attempts to set the speed higher than 18000 the drive will receive a command of 18000?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2013 23:05 #36994 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Spindle Speed Limiting

Is there a way to limit the speed commanded so that if someone (or something) attempts to set the speed higher than 18000 the drive will receive a command of 18000?

You should be able to do this in HAL with the "limit1" function:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/limit1.9.html
Look at limit2 if you want to limit the acelleration too, and limit3 if you want to limit the jerk.

I half-expected to see an INI file setting, but there does not seem to be one. Perhaps there should be a feature request?

More
25 Jul 2013 01:14 #36999 by Todd Zuercher
That is what I thought.

Thanks for the point to the hal component.

I wonder how you would do this in Classicladder? Since I have all of this going through there anyway.

More
25 Jul 2013 04:11 #37010 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Spindle Speed Limiting
Use a comparison block and if over send 18000 and if under send the value.

JT

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds