Homing dependent axis

More
30 Jul 2013 02:17 - 30 Jul 2013 02:26 #37245 by EasyAs314159
I'm currently in the process of working on a 4-joint 3-axis drawing bot to be installed at the local science museum. As it needs to run unattended for ~12 hours a day it needs to automatically home itself a few times a day. From what I can tell homing a machine with independent axis is trivial, however since all 4-axis on mine are tied together I need positive feed on 3 of the joints and negative feed on the joint I'm homing for it to work correctly without slipping.

I have a working C program that talks directly to the parallel port but it would be far more useful if it were all done through linuxcnc. I have experimented with rt hal components to try and achieve this to no effect. I'm currently thinking that I will need to write some kind of user level program that talks directly to motmod but I have been unable to find a good example of how to attempt that.

Any suggestions, either for where to look to get started or an alternative approach I haven't considered yet?
Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 02:26 by EasyAs314159.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2013 12:57 #37253 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Homing dependent axis
hmm I wonder if you could use a custom M or G code to call your C program ( or convert it to a comp program and use HAL )
then just tell linuxcnc to consider where it is as home.
You can home and unhome using halui pins.
Just trying to give ideas as I have never done anything but Cartesian machines.

Why do you need to home so often? Why will it not stay in synch?
Also if the joints don't move when shut down you can make linuxcnc just remember where it was...

Chris M

More
03 Sep 2013 07:51 #38443 by EasyAs314159
Replied by EasyAs314159 on topic Homing dependent axis
Thanks, halui did the trick

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds