Milling Machine Multiple Heads

More
09 Sep 2013 15:48 #38556 by umbaman
Hi
I have a milling machine which on the z-axis there are four high speed motors in parallel, where a tool is attached to each motor. Now each tool is around 35cm away from the next tool.
This means that the area that each tool can cover is limited but some times overlaped by the next tool. When the workspace of one tool is not enough the next tool should continue the milling process.
Each tool is activated by a pneumatic cylinder. When a tool is needed the coresponding cylinder is activated and the tool descends a predefined distance.
How can I configure LinuxCNC so as when one tool is at the limit of its workspace the next one continues?

Sincere Regards
Elias

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2013 21:20 #38569 by andypugh

Each tool is activated by a pneumatic cylinder. When a tool is needed the coresponding cylinder is activated and the tool descends a predefined distance.
How can I configure LinuxCNC so as when one tool is at the limit of its workspace the next one continues?

Do you ever want to use more than one spindle at the same time? (For example to make duplicate parts.)

This sounds quite a lot like a tool-change. The tool-able allows offsets in al directions, so if you set up tool 3 to have a 700mm X offset and tool 1 to have a 0 X-offset, if you do a tool-change to tool3 then the working point will automatically offset by 700mm.

In your position I would be tempted to set up 15 "tools" where each number is a binary representation of which tools are up and which down. That makes controlling the cylinders from HAL somewhat easier.

More
10 Sep 2013 15:20 #38596 by umbaman

Do you ever want to use more than one spindle at the same time? (For example to make duplicate parts.)

Yes this function is needed.

This sounds quite a lot like a tool-change. The tool-able allows offsets in al directions, so if you set up tool 3 to have a 700mm X offset and tool 1 to have a 0 X-offset, if you do a tool-change to tool3 then the working point will automatically offset by 700mm.

So do you suggest setting up the tool-table and in the CAM s/w predetermine the area each tool will cover?

In your position I would be tempted to set up 15 "tools" where each number is a binary representation of which tools are up and which down. That makes controlling the cylinders from HAL somewhat easier.

I don't quite get this.

More
10 Sep 2013 16:29 #38597 by andypugh

So do you suggest setting up the tool-table and in the CAM s/w predetermine the area each tool will cover?

Yes, I think that is the only way. LinuxCNC won't even let you run code that is outside the area that it thinks the machine can reach. I don't know of any way round this because it would be extremely hard to coordinate the spindle-swap with the G-code. This is partly because G-code is a rather simple and old standard, and there really isn't any information flow back from the machine to the interpreter. You are asking the machine controller to (potentially) split a long G-code move into several shorter moves and that just isn't possible with the way that the software works.
Not that it is completely impossible, but you would need to re-write some pretty fundamental bits of the software to enable it. (I very much doubt that any machine controller can do this, I think it would always be done at the G-code level, manually or with CAM)

I don't quite get this.[/quote]

Tool1 = 0001 = right-most tool.
Tool2 = 0010 = next tool to the left
Tool4 = 0100 = second from the left
Tool8 = 1000 = right-most tool

Tool9 = 1001 = both outer tools

Tool3 = 0011 = both right tools

Tool15= 1111 = all tools down.

This may be less obvious if you don't count in binary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: umbaman

More
11 Sep 2013 14:56 #38657 by umbaman
Thank you very much.
I'll try that and I'll post back.

More
12 Sep 2013 13:12 - 12 Sep 2013 13:12 #38683 by umbaman
The problem that I now have is with the CAM programs that I am using.
In Asprire 3.0 it says that the postprocessor (emc2) does not support toolchange when I selected multiple toolpaths to be included in one file.
In Artcam there is not any postprocesser available for Linuxcnc.
Any ideas?
Last edit: 12 Sep 2013 13:12 by umbaman.

More
12 Sep 2013 15:55 #38687 by andypugh

In Asprire 3.0 it says that the postprocessor (emc2) does not support toolchange when I selected multiple toolpaths to be included in one file.

I am afraid that is an Aspire problem, not a LinuxCNC problem. LinuxCNC definitely does support tool changing.

More
13 Sep 2013 09:11 #38733 by Todd Zuercher
I am pretty sure that Aspire's post-processors use enduser text based configuration files. You should be able to find another post that is close enough to what you need for you to be able to modify it to do exactly what you want it to do. (but don't ask me to do it because I don't use the program myself).

More
16 Sep 2013 13:00 - 16 Sep 2013 13:00 #38873 by umbaman
Hi and thank you all for your replies.
I found a postprocessor for artcam which supports toolchanging.
the post processor is here

I 'll post back when I'll try it.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2013 13:00 by umbaman.

More
16 Sep 2013 17:25 #38876 by umbaman
I used the postprocessor to create the ngc code, but the output is kind of wired.

I have attached the postprocessor, the screenshot that shows the bounds, and the code generated.
The bounds are way to big for my machine. The limits for my machine are 2000x1000x220 mm (XYZ).

Could anyone guess why I get this output? In Artcam i setted the surface area to be 2000x1000 (XY).

Thank you all very much for your time.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds