Lathe spindle & C Axis without PID

More
04 Mar 2014 07:05 #44383 by gman
I am trying to implement C Axis function on my spindle, but.. I know it was solved here many times, but my configuration is different. Driver has 4 wires
STEP
DIR
ENA
Speed/Position mode

My aim is to control spindle via speed mode and than using M1xx code switch into position control mode and use the spindle as C Axis. I tried to set two different step gens and multiplex their outputs (STEP, DIR) But I was not able to multiplex them on mesa 5i25. So next try was configure one stepgen and switch input values(scale, max speed, position&velocity mode..) Everything works almost brilliant :) But when I switch from spindle to C Axis, spindle returns to the last position of the C Axis. So when is the machine switched to C Axis after 5 minutes of turning at full speed, it goes 5 minutes reverse at full speed to reach the last position of C Axis mode and after that it can be used.
I also tried to use spindle encoder as a feedback for C Axis to eliminate this, but it also didn't work. One encoder on two different Axes -> following error if one of them try to move :)

Do you have any idea how to solve it? Maybe there is much simpler solution, but I don't see it :(

Here is M-code for switching parameters:
#!/bin/bash
 # switch spindle to spindle mode instead of C axis
halcmd sets position-mode 1
halcmd setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.03.position-scale [SPINDLE_9]STEP_SCALE
halcmd setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.03.control-type 1  #velocity mode
halcmd setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.03.maxaccel [SPINDLE_9]MAX_ACCELERATION
halcmd setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.03.maxvel [SPINDLE_9]MAX_VELOCITY

exit 0

File Attachment:

File Name: soustruh_2...3-03.hal
File Size:10 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: soustruh.ini
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2014 07:51 - 04 Mar 2014 07:52 #44385 by PCW
I suspect the only way to really do this currently is with the stepgen always in velocity mode
This requires a PID comp in the HAL file with FF1 = 1 and P = ~50
That way the mode change is done with muxes and the current position offset can be applied
so there is no movement when changing to position mode
Last edit: 04 Mar 2014 07:52 by PCW.

More
04 Mar 2014 18:16 - 04 Mar 2014 19:08 #44394 by gman
I have implemented this configuration announced by andy , it works, but the regulator can hold the position in area +-1°. When I use the Axis in position mode, it holds position with error +-0.1°. I think that problem is in "slow communication" between PC and spindle. In velocity mode it reads input value each 10ms, in position mode each 50us :(

PCW good guess :) FF1 = 1.2, P = 50, I=10 were the highest values when the spindle was stable.

I get an idea - What if I force the C Axis to "rehome" when switching from spindle mode?? It should clear counter value and rotate till index signal, right? :)
Last edit: 04 Mar 2014 19:08 by gman.

More
04 Mar 2014 20:36 #44396 by gman
Homing didn't help. It looks like it isn't possible to implement it. Only solution is make specific bit file for 5i25, that would multiplex two stepgens into one STEP, DIR signal. But it is beyond my ability. I can try connect external HW multiplexer between mesa and driver. It isn't nice solution, but it should work for now :)

More
04 Mar 2014 21:17 #44397 by andypugh

when I switch from spindle to C Axis, spindle returns to the last position of the C Axis. So when is the machine switched to C Axis after 5 minutes of turning at full speed, it goes 5 minutes reverse at full speed to reach the last position of C Axis mode and after that it can be used.

The answer here is to latch the current position when you change states then subtract that value from the commanded position.
I had a very similar problem with my hobbing configuration and solved it this way:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Hobbing
The built-in sample-hold function is unsigned-int only, but you can wire a mux2 to work as a sample-hold element for floating point values.

Things are a little more complicated if you want to always return to a repeatable position. It is possible that the "orient" hal module can help you here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/orient.9.html
That is currently only available in the development version of LinuxCNC, but it would be fairly straightforward to install it in your current setup.
The useful thing that is does is round-down the current position to complete turns.

More
04 Mar 2014 23:34 #44400 by PCW
The orient comp does seem like the proper solution.
Note that the stepgen is set for velocity mode when orient is used
(and never changed) and a PID component is used for closing the stepgen position loop.

It may be that the drive should always be left in position mode

More
26 Mar 2014 04:14 #45259 by gman
SW solution did not work. It was resolved by the external HW multiplexer and it works perfectly. There are some oscilation in rapid moves caused by the belt which needs to be more stretched.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds