Tool changing on a multispindle machine

More
29 Apr 2014 14:39 #46459 by terans1085
Hello!

I am in the process of retrofitting LinuxCNC on an old 3-Axis woodworking router (using MESA 5125 + 7i77). This router does not incorporate a toolchanger as we know it, but has instead 3 spindle motors, each on a separate vertical pneumatic cylinder. All three motors are connected to the same inverter through 3 contactors so only 1 motor is connected at any time.

All valves and contactors are controlled through a Siemens S5 PLC which I have access to modify the logic as necessary. I have 8 parallel connections from 7i77 to the PLC which can be used to issue instructions in the form of an 8bit word.

The following sequence has to be applied for successful toolchanging:
  • Stop Spindle from LinuxCNC
  • Issue tool change instruction from LinuxCNC to PLC in the form of an 8bit word
  • The PLC can then handle disabling 'Inverter Enable', all pneumatic work required, flip contactors and re-enable 'Inverter Enable'
  • A feedback 'PLC Ready' is also available from PLC to the 7i77
  • LinuxCNC must then compensate for the new tool in a different position on the moving head

Now I would like to make tool changing as seamless as possible using simple Tx M6 in my g-code programs. Does this sound too far fetched?

Additionally the machine has a series of drills (about 15 of them) all mounted on separate pneumatic cylinders, but I am willing to focus on the 3 main spindles for the time being.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2014 18:19 #46473 by BigJohnT
You can use Classicladder to coordinate your tool change and have it send the 8 bits to the PLC and wait for the "I'm ready" bit.

I have a sim with a classicladder toolchanger here:

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/index.html

JT

More
30 Apr 2014 05:58 #46487 by andypugh

Now I would like to make tool changing as seamless as possible using simple Tx M6 in my g-code programs. Does this sound too far fetched?

No, it sounds fairly simple, actually.

Note that the tool table can have offsets in all directions, to your spindles can automatically be compensated for their offsets.

Some new HAL components might be useful to convert tool-number from G-code into HAL bits:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/bitslice.9.html

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds