Learning about alternate kinematics (bipod)

More
07 Sep 2014 21:13 #50885 by FOTC
Some guys at our hackerspace are playing with an inverted bipod wall drawing bot. This is just a mess-around experiment to learn about kinematics in linuxcnc. The actual configuration is machinekit on a beaglebone black with pololu drivers.

We have it jogging successfully in joint mode but it INSTANTLY throws a following error when switching to world mode. The error occurs even before we try to jog in world mode. The kinematics module was from dab77

Changing the axis parameters in the .ini file has no effect. Even setting them to ridiculously low numbers still produces a following error as soon as we switch modes. Where should I be looking for the problem?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2014 02:05 #50965 by bkt
the gap of velocity in joint or world mode is bigger ..... if you use axes interfaces try to set the slider to minimum rate ..... have you make a zero of axes in joint mode I supposed.

if other error occurs report it. .....in the dab_bipod.c the bx is set to 1980.0...... your bx is the same?

More
11 Sep 2014 07:09 #51052 by FOTC
I'm not sure I understand everything you've suggested. bx in my version of bipod.c is still set to 1980. Axes 0 in the .ini file has a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 1980.

I have the feed override, jog speed, and Max velocity sliders all the way down to minimums. I've homed X and Y in Joint mode.

Still when I switch to world mode I get the following error immediately. Am I missing anything?

More
11 Sep 2014 09:24 #51057 by andypugh

We have it jogging successfully in joint mode but it INSTANTLY throws a following error when switching to world mode.

What are your f-error limits?

Are you homing the system before jogging ?

As a first step edit the INI to make both f-error limits bigger than the machine travel. This isn't a device that is going to kill anyone. Don't do this in your man-carrying robot arm.

My guess would be that the kinematics calculations are invalid because you are not switching to world-mode at a known position where the calculations work.

Are you actually homing the machine?
The following user(s) said Thank You: FOTC

More
11 Sep 2014 20:32 #51080 by bkt

As a first step edit the INI to make both f-error limits bigger than the machine travel. This isn't a device that is going to kill anyone. Don't do this in your man-carrying robot arm.

FERROR = 4
MIN_FERROR = .25
MIN_LIMIT = -9999.0
MAX_LIMIT = 9999.0

in my test parallel kinematics robot ini file ....

More
11 Sep 2014 20:39 #51081 by andypugh

FERROR = 4
MIN_FERROR = .25
MIN_LIMIT = -9999.0
MAX_LIMIT = 9999.0

in my test parallel kinematics robot ini file ....

So, as suggested, make the FERROR and MIN_FERROR limits equally huge.

More
11 Sep 2014 20:55 - 11 Sep 2014 21:36 #51083 by FOTC
I've been able to switch to world mode now which is a huge improvement. To do it, I had to have absurd numbers.
FERROR = 1000
MIN_FERROR = 1000

and the max acceleration slider all the way to zero. Once I switch, I can slide the max acceleration back up and it doesn't give another following error. I'm still playing with the FERROR numbers to see if I can get to something rational.

When I home, joint 1 and 2 are both at 990 which is what I'd expect. When I switch to world, it goes to 0,0 and when I switch back to joint mode it reads 0,1980.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2014 21:36 by FOTC. Reason: typo

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds