Setting HAL pins from within NGC subroutines

More
10 Sep 2014 15:46 #51001 by DaBit
I know it is possible to read HAL pins from within ngc code (using #<_hal[hal_name]> and FEATURES = <feature mask> in the INI file) since LinuxCNC 2.6.
But is there also a method to set them other than using M6x of defining an M code that executes a script containing 'halcmd setp mypinname value'?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2014 18:34 #51013 by BigJohnT
You can set pins in Classicladder.

JT

More
11 Sep 2014 15:07 #51062 by DaBit
I read up a little about ClassicLadder, but I did not see a method to 'mis-use' it for changing the value of HAL pins from within NGC code?

Mind you, I would just prefer to do it from ngc code. Something like this in a remapped M code:

#<_hal[millturn-mode]> = 2
o100 do
o100 while [#<_hal[millturn-busyflag]> NE 0]

I suppose Parseltongue or just a bash script is more suitable. Or just plain M68 E0 Q2 followed by M66 P0 L2 and making the connections in HAL.

More
11 Sep 2014 18:51 #51071 by andypugh

I know it is possible to read HAL pins from within ngc code (using #<_hal[hal_name]> and FEATURES = <feature mask> in the INI file) since LinuxCNC 2.6.
But is there also a method to set them other than using M6x of defining an M code that executes a script containing 'halcmd setp mypinname value'?

No, the only way to set HAL pins in G-code is the M-codes you mentioned. This might be to ensure that things happen in strict sequence, which wouldn't necessarily be the case if the system was looking out into user-space for the values.

If it helps with readability the format
#<my_readable_pin_name> = 1
M66 P#<my_readable_pin_name>

should work.

More
11 Sep 2014 19:05 #51074 by DaBit
Yes, and so does a line of comment.

I will use M68/M66. That also allows me to wait for a falling edge on a HAL pin and provides a timeout without additional effort. No big deal.

I was just triggered by the following in the documentation :

This feature was motivated by the desire for stronger coupling between user interface components like GladeVCP and PyVCP to act as paramter source for driving NGC file behaviour. The alternative - going through the M6x pins and wiring them - has a limited, non-mmemonic namespace and is unncessary cumbersome just as a UI/Interpreter communications mechanism.

That made me think that there could also be an alternate method to do ngc->HAL communication.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds